2012 Retina MacBook Pro Issue

Home Forums General Discussion 2012 Retina MacBook Pro Issue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

HippoLOL
    Participant

Got a brand new i1 Display Pro and when I calibrate to sRGB it blows out the details in DCI-P3 image. I’m guessing the native gamut is wider than sRGB of the display so that is why the detail is being lost.

The white point of the default apple icc profile is about 7000K is there any way to keep the wider gamut of the Retina display while setting the white point to D65?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Got a brand new i1 Display Pro and when I calibrate to sRGB it blows out the details in DCI-P3 image. I’m guessing the native gamut is wider than sRGB of the display so that is why the detail is being lost.

Normally calibration doesn’t affect the gamut (much – unless the desired target whitepoint is far from native, in which case limiting the individual channels will cause gamut reduction).

The white point of the default apple icc profile is about 7000K is there any way to keep the wider gamut of the Retina display while setting the white point to D65?

Yes, set the whitepoint on the “calibration” tab.

HippoLOL
    Participant

Hi,

Normally calibration doesn’t affect the gamut (much – unless the desired target whitepoint is far from native, in which case limiting the individual channels will cause gamut reduction).

Yes, set the whitepoint on the “calibration” tab.

Yes I set white point and tried many things. DisplayCAL & X-Right software both lose colour detail Colour Gradation. If you’re on Mac load abstract shapes wallpaper to see. I’ll take a picture of it later tonight. I spent 5 hours trying to fix the issue with no luck.

after Calibration colours look like they are over saturated.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by HippoLOL.

HippoLOL
    Participant

So, what is happening is the gamma or whatever is being blown out thus losing detail in Apple stuff. Reading about it seems like it’s a well known bug.

I tried the work around you posted but even that is not good enough. Oh well will just use default profile till Apple one day fix this crap.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS