2 screen setup of the same make & model — which is Primary?

Home Forums Help and Support 2 screen setup of the same make & model — which is Primary?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

DGross
    Participant

Greetings and thank you for truly outstanding software.

I have two screens of the same make & model (Dell U2415) on a Windows 10 machine (i7, 32GB, ASUS GTX 760 card).

When I click on the  “identify” link in Windows settings, the numbers come up with “1” on the left screen and “2” on the right screen.  The option checkbox shows that Windows calls screen 2 the Primary screen.

1. In Displaycal, which screen should I have profiled first?  I profiled screen 2 first, since it’s the screen on which Displaycal launched.  Was I correct to profile screen 2 first since Windows calls it my Primary screen, or should I have profiled the screen labeled as “1” first?
    2.  In the Displaycal interface, when I select a screen, how do I know which of the two profiles is for the Primary screen?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

When I click on the “identify” link in Windows settings, the numbers come up with “1” on the left screen and “2” on the right screen. The option checkbox shows that Windows calls screen 2 the Primary screen.

The primary screen is user-definable in the OS via the settings, and marks the screen that most applications should use by default to display their user interface elements. In previous versions of Windows (I think before Windows 8), the primary screen was also the only one with a task bar and start menu. In Windows 8 and later, you can choose if all screens should have a taskbar or not, and how applications will be displayed in the taskbar, but only the primary taskbar will have the notification (tray) icons.

In Displaycal, which screen should I have profiled first?

That doesn’t matter.

In the Displaycal interface, when I select a screen, how do I know which of the two profiles is for the Primary screen?

In the display selector, the primary display is marked by the text “(Primary)”.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS