Windows color management

Home Forums General Discussion Windows color management

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

Can anyone help me understand, when I create a .icc profile calibration in Windows, what apps will get the full 3DLUT color calibration?

I understand every app will get the VCGT (1DLUT). Is the VCGT a 3x 1DLUT, for each color?

Will Chrome with YouTube in HTML5 video player get the full .icc 3DLUT?

I know regular video players like my MPC-BE with madVR and my video games will not get the full 3DLUT. For madVR I just have it’s own 3DLUT (.3dlut) installed within madVR.

But if I want my desktop and windows photo viewer, and my web browser and the HTML5 video player (youtube/twitch.tv/etc) in my browser to have a 3DLUT, is that possible?

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I understand every app will get the VCGT (1DLUT). Is the VCGT a 3x 1DLUT, for each color?

Yes.

Will Chrome with YouTube in HTML5 video player get the full .icc 3DLUT?

AFAIK, no. I think video in Chrome is not color managed at all, but I haven’t checked recent versions. Images on the other hand can be color managed, but Chrome will only use the curves + matrix part of a profile (although differences to a more accurate cLUT will not necessarily be noticeable).

But if I want my desktop and windows photo viewer, and my web browser and the HTML5 video player (youtube/twitch.tv/etc) in my browser to have a 3DLUT, is that possible?

Windows Photo Viewer only does pseudo color management (display profile is always assumed to be sRGB). Video in web browsers is typically not color managed at all (but I haven’t checked this in a while). In that case, the only other option is an external 3D LUT box.

SirMaster
    Participant

Thanks Florian,

I had this crazy idea to be able to leave my display (JVC projector) in wide color gamut mode (BT.2020), but to have my windows .icc profile convert the color space to sRGB so that my desktop, web browser, and web video players would render the correct sRGB or rec709 color.

I know if I had a full 3DLUT that this sort of colorspace conversion would be possible, but I do not believe a 3x 1DLUT can achieve this level of colorspace conversion.

I may just try this out anyways and see how Windows and Chrome react but I thought I would just ask first to see what information I could gather before attempting.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I know if I had a full 3DLUT that this sort of colorspace conversion would be possible, but I do not believe a 3x 1DLUT can achieve this level of colorspace conversion.

Yes.

I may just try this out anyways and see how Windows and Chrome react but I thought I would just ask first to see what information I could gather before attempting.

It will certainly be interesting to have some potentially new insight about video color management with current browsers (if that’s actually a thing, that is).

SirMaster
    Participant

Cool, I will have to do this for science now and report back.

I also did find this interesting feature of Chrome that may get me somewhere too:

Chrome color management flag

Maybe if I just tell Chrome to use P3 D65 I can leave my display in wide color gamut mode without doing anything special.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

“Color spin with gamma 2.4” might make it easy to determine if Chrome is color managing video at all.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Just tried it. No video color management in Chrome (76.0.3809.100) on Windows.

USER
    Participant

Perhaps using DisplayCAL this is the case but youtube + chrome is definitely color managed.

SirMaster
    Participant

Perhaps using DisplayCAL this is the case but youtube + chrome is definitely color managed.

Really?  How do you do it.

No matter what I do, the 3DLUT in my .icm profile don’t apply to the YouTube video.

Also all the searching on Google I do points to people saying the same thing, that the video is not color managed.

Patrick1978
    Participant

Chrome does seem to do something to html5 videos.  They aren’t over saturated on my WGC display.  It doesn’t do it well since colors near black are a mess.  That night time episode of GoT looked extra bad in Chrome.

I’m just using the default XYZLUT+MTX profile from DisplayCAL and default color management setting in Chrome

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

USER
    Participant

No sorry I mean that it’s color managed but not the 3D LUT. Then again you don’t really need it when profiles work perfectly. Use the windows color management tool to select a profile for your monitor. I use a wide gamut monitor and YouTube videos display correctly ie no iridescent reds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS