Which one is worth buying?photometer or colorimeter?

Home Forums General Discussion Which one is worth buying?photometer or colorimeter?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

zslsz
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m new to learning color correction, try to calibrate the color of my different monitors. I’ve read quite some posts and I think I probably understand the difference between a photometer and a colorimeter. But I’m confused about which model to choose.

I already know Xrite i1 Display Pro Plus same as Calibrite ColorChecker Plus, is Calibrite Display Plus HL same too? If  not, which one is worth buying?

I also saw used i1 pro2 in my budget, they have many models, like basic, photo, plus and more. Are they have the same hardware just with software limitations, does this mean I could buy the most basic model and just use displaycal? And these used i1 pro2 are six or seven years old from the factory, does that affect the results?

If both models I asked about are worth buying, which one should I get? or should I buy both to get the best results.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

You want an i1d3 and you may want an i1pro2/i1Studio too, as complement to colorimeter.

JohnD
    Participant

You definitely don’t want to calibrate with a i1Pro2 as it’s extremely slow.

The only use case that makes sense is to use it to create a colorimeter correction for your i1d3.

But it has poor resolution and it struggles on some newer backlight technology to the point of being useless.

Today, I wouldn’t elect to buy one (I have both i1d3 and i1pro2).

Spend the money instead on hiring someone with a reference spectroradiometer to come and take some readings for you instead. Much cheaper and far better result – of course, you need to do this every time you change monitor, but you could hire someone with a reference instrument several times over for the price of a i1Pro2 and most people don’t change monitors that frequently.

IMHO, anything less than a spectro that costs $6,000+ like a JETI, Konica Minolta or Colorimetry Research instrument is going to give you unsatisfactory results, although some may disagree.

Old Man
    Participant

I recommend the calibrite colorchecker display plus.

The HL is not the same. The HL is capable of more nits (10,000 vs 2,000), but is worse in low light, and that matters more. Again, get the plus.

As a beginner, I’d stick to a colorimeter (it’s all I use). Photometers are much-more expensive and just get you a little more accuracy on top of a colorimeter. You can get most of the way there with just a colorimeter and correct corrections. And yes, photometers require recalibration (I think every year?) Colorimeters don’t.

For the *best* results, you’ll need tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and maybe a few professionals

Vincent
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m new to learning color correction, try to calibrate the color of my different monitors. I’ve read quite some posts and I think I probably understand the difference between a photometer and a colorimeter. But I’m confused about which model to choose.

I already know Xrite i1 Display Pro Plus same as Calibrite ColorChecker Plus, is Calibrite Display Plus HL same too? If  not, which one is worth buying?

I also saw used i1 pro2 in my budget, they have many models, like basic, photo, plus and more. Are they have the same hardware just with software limitations, does this mean I could buy the most basic model and just use displaycal? And these used i1 pro2 are six or seven years old from the factory, does that affect the results?

If both models I asked about are worth buying, which one should I get? or should I buy both to get the best results.

Remember that some outdated apps MAY filter device by serial number prefix, so it may refuse newer models. Use i1d3hook to bypass those limitatiosn due to outdated software.
    IDNK if you need one of those apps, usually for HW calibration of some displays/TVs.
    (device itselft filters apps by device unlock code, but apps may filter i1d3 colorimeter by serial no. prefix)
    DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS/HCFR do not filter device by serial no.

Regarding used i1Pro2 actual value (not vendor price) may vary depending on (re)certification validity period and always a clean i1disgnostics report must be a must. IDNK if ARgyllCMS can do a cleaner/exhaustive test.

As stated before by others right now better start with i1d3 alone than an used& unknown status i1pro2 alone

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS