Weird color on my second monitor.

Home Forums Help and Support Weird color on my second monitor.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Hi! Something weird is happening, as you know, I have a laptop with a generic LCD which I have calibrated with your software, and also have two different Eizos, which are using their internal calibration, and a linear one from your software so there is no hardware correction on the GPU for the Eizos. Well. Eizo CG241W looks almost identical to the LCD monitor with any Adobe application and internet browsers that understand color tagging. But when using the Eizo CG277, Adobe applications looks the same on both Laptop and Eizo monitors, but internet browsers or any other application looks super saturated on the Eizo…   so any clues what can be that is making to happen? Why Adobe applications will understand correctly both screens and the rest of the applications don’t?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

[…] but internet browsers or any other application looks super saturated on the Eizo…

Welcome to the world of ICC color management, where only a select subset of applications actually support it (unfortunately) – most things like web browsers often don’t fall into that category. Some browsers like Firefox can be set up to be color managed, but not across multiple displays – you’ll have to pick one. I recommend the “Color Management” add-on for Firefox, which makes set-up a little easier (you’ll also want to navigate to about:config and set gfx.color_management.enablev4 to true).

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Weird that with the Laptop+CGW241 = both look the same, but Laptop+CGW277 = CG277 super saturated.

Will investigate a bit more, connect the 3 monitors and see is I can find what is the difference between the two Eizos.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Maybe a setting on the display? If I’m not mistaken, the CG series have an sRGB emulation mode. If it is active on the CG241 but not the CG277 this may explain the differences.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

both monitors where exactly the same setting, but… a big but, the CG241 have 12000 hours or use, and the 277 only 300, and it seems the gamut of the 277 is MUCH wider. if I set the 277 to emulate AdobeRGB then it looks the same as the other two.

Anyway. probably makes no sense at all to use the monitor on its widest gamut since no one else will be able to see images like that over the internet, probably only makes sense to work like that when I’m going to print.

Can’t avoid having a feeling that I’m badly obsessed with this 🙂

Thanks for your time as usual.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

so if one have a monitor that does not have emulation of AdobeRGB or sRGB, can your software used to create calibrations that emulate that?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Under Windows and Linux, only in color managed applications (via their use of the display profile). Under OS X the whole desktop (with some per-application exceptions and notwithstanding bugs) is color managed, so it’s easier there.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

HI! I’m not sure how to attach an image, so I attached it as a file, do you know what is the profile that has to be on the box I have marked? is it the current calibration profile or the standard sRGB profile as is by default?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s no need to change the settings on this page, they concern WCS (Windows Color System), a neat system, that isn’t really used by most things though. The default for the marked setting is “System default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)”.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

thanks

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

after some testing, I can say that Chrome it is doing color managing, but is rendering everything more saturated than the other browsers on the secondary monitors, Iknow because testing with 4 photos that are the same but with different profiles, on the main monitor they all look the same in Edge, Firefox, and Chrome, but when moving to the secondary monitor, they still look the same on the 4 profiles, but Chrome renders them much more saturated than Edge or Firefox, so still doing the management, but probably is not able to detect the change of screen and the need of using a different.

I wonder what then when your main monitor is a Wide Gamut monitor, and you do jobs for internet, then does that mean that what you are seeing all the time on your monitor is wrong??? Or that you have to soft proof to SRGB continuously? This is quite confusing.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s a good question how to deal with browsers sometimes lackluster implementation of color management. I think the safest may still be to export photos to sRGB, optionally embedding the profile (although that increases file size by around 3 KB per photo, assuming you embed the ICCv2 sRGB profile). That way, browsers that get color management “right” will be able to show correct colors even on wide-gamut monitors, and non-colormanaged browsers will at least look reasonable on standard gamut displays.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS