sRGB vs 2.2

Home Forums Help and Support sRGB vs 2.2

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author

rpnfan
    Participant

The gradation curve of the monitor is not relevant — as long no loss of tonal values occurs due the influence of the calibration — and as long you have created an ICC profile which describes the very gradation (gamma / tonal) curve and use colormanagement aware programs.

As soon as you step outside the colormanaged world — which you still have in many places in Windows by default (or only partly colormanaged) the gradation curve will change the tonal response of what you see of course.

You could assume sRGB gamut and sRGB gradation as some sort of default. BUT many modern displays have a somewhat larger gamut than sRGB and the tonal response may not match sRGB perfectly, but often can be closer to gamma = 2.2.  (This is often chosen in factories as the calibration target – simplified gamma=2.2 curve without any “fancy” gain offset). You will only get somehow close to prepare pictures for the “unknown” anyway, so using sRGB gamut and sRGB-curve or gamma = 2.2 will bring you in the ballpark.

I have a wide-gamut screen and use one calibration with the native gamut for photo work.

For daily usage I have another calibration to a slightly extend sRGB gamut with an sRGB curve and one with a 2.2 gamma. I switch between both calibrations as I like. 😉
    Seldom I use a plain “sRGB-gamut” + sRGB-curve calibration. But I prefer the slightly enhanced saturation of the others (+10 Saturation dialed in on an Eizo display).

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS