sRGB or 2.2 for casual use?

Home Forums General Discussion sRGB or 2.2 for casual use?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

David C
    Participant

I am aware sRGB tracks 2.2 for the important mid-tones and this is only really an issue related to the darkest colors.

It’s hard to know what content creators are really doing, but I do know:

• Engineers are being schooled to assume sRGB when converting color spaces or adjusting the results of linear light calculations, (i.e. in generating 3D images).
    • Video drives can use sRGB buffers for linear light blending in games, (though I can only assume they’re accurately using sRGB and not just 2.2 for performance).

I also know:

• Artists and content creators are being taught to calibrate their monitors to 2.2. This is the standard advice I see all over the internet.
    • I believe 2.2 is standard for Mac which is popular with content creators.

So if I have a monitor with good bit-depth and contrast ratio that can be calibrated pretty well in the darks, which should I choose for the best experience? If I use sRGB won’t I see washed out darks in content that was perfected  by someone using a 2.2 calibration? If I use 2.2 won’t I get crushed darks in content that was perfected using sRGB?

Vincent
    Participant

• I believe 2.2 is standard for Mac which is popular with content creators.

And maybe macOS fakes profile TRC vs actual TRC => iMac may be 2.2, ICC TRC reports a fake TRC non 2.2

This will add some “noise”/”unmatching” between apps, like sRGB content non color managed in CAD/CAM             vs         sRGB encoded and tagged content in Photoshop on a 2.2 display with a display profile TRC matching that 2.2
    Also common IPS displays calibrated to 2.2 and accurately  profiled will reflect the bending of actual TRC due to limited contrast.

I would say 2.2, profile matching TRC accurately by keep BPC. If non color managed TRC mismatch bothers you (CAD/CAM) then you can add a DMWLUT layer for such task.

David C
    Participant

I would say 2.2, profile matching TRC accurately by keep BPC. If non color managed TRC mismatch bothers you (CAD/CAM) then you can add a DMWLUT layer for such task.

Thanks. I wouldn’t say it “bothers” me. Am calibrating a monitor for personal, casual use and just wondered which was the best choice for non-color managed apps.

I think I’ll just take your advice and use 2.2 and look into DMWLUT if some application actually does bother me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS