Printer Calibration without a spectrophotometer

Home Forums Help and Support Printer Calibration without a spectrophotometer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

KD750
    Participant

Following Vincent’s advice I returned the SpyderX for a Colormunki display and using DisplayCal my old Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW now looks a lot more accurate (I plan to get a new monitor down the line for photo processing and relegate the Sammy to being a 2nd monitor).

I have a Canon Pixma iP8750 printer and some Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss (SG-201), in Lightroom  I used the Canon ip8700 series SG2/LU2 profile in soft proofing and in the printer settings I select Photo Printing and the aforementioned paper as the media type.

The results are pleasing, however they do not totally match the monitor, I’m no expert but the prints are a little darker (expected I suppose as paper does not have it’s own light source) and the colour seems more intense on the paper also.

Is there a way to calibrate the printer with my current equipment so monitor and printer match better? I have never done this before, I have googled, but am left a bit flummoxed by what I have found.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon   SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You have several options:

• Borrow a spectrometer from someone or somewhere (some photo accessory shops offer rentals)
    • Use a printer profiling service (usually you have to print out a set of patches on the paper(s) you want to profile and send it to them, then get a profile back)
    • Live with the default printer profiles

Vincent
    Participant
    • Use a printer profiling service (usually you have to print out a set of patches on the paper(s) you want to profile and send it to them, then get a profile back)

Worth it, about 40euro fo some basic-mid profiling.

Free option… apply a curve “from 128 to 142” in GIMP/PS, then print (rising mid tone brightness). Undo that curve or do not save that to file, it is just for printing.
    But I would use Florian’s advice.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

KD750
    Participant

Thank you both very much for your help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS