One more reason why displaycal is better than X-Rite software

Home Forums General Discussion One more reason why displaycal is better than X-Rite software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

dimedrol
    Participant

I am a casual PC user, who is nevertheless interested in having more or less accurate colors on his monitors. I have an 8 year old colormunki display  and about the same age Dell U2410 monitor that I have calibrated multiple times by now. I would usually settle on the X-Rite software for Colormunki Display: I used to like the result and it is reasonably fast and hassle free too. Until recently. I haven’t calibrated my monitor for a while, but a few days back I upgraded the MB and CPU and RAM so I decided to have a fresh install of Windows 10 and a fresh display profile. To my surprise, unlike always, I did not like the calibration results from the very first glance. I repeated the calibration a couple times more just to be sure but I still did not like it: the colors were cold-ish and purple-ish, not dramatically so, but noticable to my eyes. I then downloaded an old version of the X-Rite software just to make sure they did not screw something up in the newer one, but it produced the same purple-ish result. So I figured: my Colormunki must have surpassed it’s life expectancy and I need to get myself a new one. But before doing so I decided to give DisplayCal a chance. And what do you think? A very good result from the first attempt! There’s no way for me to validate it but the best validation for me personally is that each day turning my computer on I am satisfied with the perceived colors’ neutrality to the extent that I don’t want to tweak anything.  Good job, DisplayCal!

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks for the feedback!

If you want to verify your calibration result, you can do so on the “Verification” tab (just use the defaults there).

dimedrol
    Participant

Well, I am thinking if my calibrator is skewed, I can’t really trust  it to do the verification. So I either need a trusted calibrator that I don’t have for the job or trust my own observations over a period of time, which, considering I am not doing any professional work involving color processing, is good enough for me.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by dimedrol.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS