madVR LUT3D issues made with DisplayCAL

Home Forums Help and Support madVR LUT3D issues made with DisplayCAL

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

p.dada
    Participant

BTB should never be visible when the display is setup correctly. If you desire WTW to be passed through is up to your personal preference.

Yes, indeed. This is normally set with black and white level controls on your TV and the right patterns.  I understand that the option “TV RGB 16-235 (clip WTW)” acts like a hard clipper. What is there to gain from it? Increase in 3D LUT calculation speed? Smaller filesize? Or am I missing the point entirely?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Quoting the Argyll CMS ‘collink’ documentation: “This [Clipping WTW] can be useful if you are dealing with source material that has WTW values, but your TV or Video display clips these out of range values in a way that alters the hue.”

p.dada
    Participant

Thank you very much Florian. Keep up the good work! 🙂

Kapkan
    Participant

Quoting the Argyll CMS ‘collink’ documentation: “This [Clipping WTW] can be useful if you are dealing with source material that has WTW values, but your TV or Video display clips these out of range values in a way that alters the hue.”

If I remember correctly, the hue is altered when the 256th 1DLUT software level white point is severely inaccurate before calibration and profiling begins, which cuts off possible 1DLUT bits that can be used to make the rest of the grayscale more accurate. That’s the case with my TV because adjusting the white point manually before ArgyllCMS calibration screws up the rest of the grayscale sooo bad that even high-quality slow ArgyllCMS calibration doesn’t correct it, well, at least not without pretty bad banding. If I leave it at the settings I have, then the manual calibration is very accurate for about 70% of grayscale, at which point Blue begins to rise to a high value as it reaches 100th % IRE.  That cut off a ton of Blue bits that could be used. When I don’t disable WTW, my white’s become yellow.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS