Macbook dual OS: can I use same profile?

Home Forums General Discussion Macbook dual OS: can I use same profile?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mais78
    Participant

Hi there, now that DisplCal has become tricky to run on a Mac, can I create a profile for an external monitor using Windows in a virtual machine on my macbook and then install the file in MacOS? Assuming the monitor (external) is the same will the profile be accurate (not just work, I know it will work) in both environments or somehow these profiles are OS dependent?

Many thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

No, since it will lack of custom VCGT data. VM has no access to HW VCGT, you’ll need a true dual boot (no VM) on a macintel to do what you want.
    Also if you have a macbook with XDR screen use ArgyllCMS to measure actual whitepoint of the screen (use macbook P3 CCSS) and then let Apple App fr customizing whitepoint do the job.

You may validate on a VM if macOS does not color manage VM.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Vincent.

Old Man
    Participant

You can try the python 3 fork on github, which natively supports mac. And yes, you can create a *profile* in a VM, but, like Vincent said, you can’t create a profile *with a VCGT*. So it depends on your use case. For example, I usually don’t use VCGT’s anyway. The profile should be accurate, assuming neither OS is interfering in any way

Mais78
    Participant

Thank you guys.

@Vincent
    , I am not trying to calibrate the screen of the macbook, just the external monitor I use for photo editing, a wide gamut display.  @OldMan I read many posts of people struggling to run the fork version. I was actually thinking of giving the Calibrite softaware a go, any good?

Not sure what VCGT is and if it has a role in my workflow. I basically use Lightroom. I actually have two macbooks, also a very old Intel one with a true dual boot. So based on what you told me, my next question is: a profile created in Windows 10 on a macbook pro 2015 will be accurate when copied over and used on a Macbook Air M3 running macOS?

Basically are these icc profiles OS independent and also machine independent? They are just monitor specific and once created a profile can be used on any computer connected to that monitor to get accurate colors?

Thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

The profile should be accurate, assuming neither OS is interfering in any way

Better try with VM’s MS Paint to check if VM program is applying color management… macOS can be tricky so best check this

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you guys.

@Vincent
    , I am not trying to calibrate the screen of the macbook, just the external monitor I use for photo editing, a wide gamut display.

You can use another computer.

Not sure what VCGT is and if it has a role in my workflow. I basically use Lightroom.

VCGT = grey calibration in color & gamma. Then with VCGT grey calibration applied (if any) Displaycal or other apps “profile” display = capture display behavior.
    Since macOS color management engine has its limitations best to aim for very siumple profiles: matrix  + single curve +BPC = display is described by color coordinates of RGB primaries, gamma value and assumes perfectly additive behavior, perfect grey color after VCGT and infinite contrast.

I actually have two macbooks, also a very old Intel one with a true dual boot. So based on what you told me, my next question is: a profile created in Windows 10 on a macbook pro 2015 will be accurate when copied over and used on a Macbook Air M3 running macOS?

Basically are these icc profiles OS independent and also machine independent? They are just monitor specific and once created a profile can be used on any computer connected to that monitor to get accurate colors?

Thanks!

They should be indpendent unless GPU is doing something to the RGB data chain. Also since you are on MacOS remember to use simplest profile types as explained above.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Vincent.

Old Man
    Participant

The calibrite software should work, but the results might not be very good.

Again, a profile created on a different machine should work, *assuming the machine isn’t interfering*, which, like Vincent said, is not a safe assumption. You could maybe use the calibrite software on the destination machine to verify the final results.

Ideally, profiles should be machine-independent, but in reality, there’s a lot of hidden variables that can be hard to control. This is exactly why colorists use things like blackmagic boxes that remove all those variables. But as long as you verify the results on the destination machine, you should be ok

Vincent
    Participant

You could maybe use the calibrite software on the destination machine to verify the final results.

AFAIK both calibrite and i1Profiler (& derivative works) refuses tro validate profiles that are not theirs.
    Also Calibrite Profiler lies to user regarding applied colorimeter corrections User interface GB_LED => RGBLED, User Interface PFS/MiniLed => GBLED so whitepoint may look off due to wrong correction (how far is the error depenss on firmware data) and if you try to check white point like calibrite ambassador says for Apple XDR screen (check other screen  white point on xy) it will not apply correction.

Old Man
    Participant

Ah, my bad. Ignore that suggestion then

Mais78
    Participant

Thank you guys, based on what you told me I think my best bet is the following (until a stable version of DisplayCal is available for Mac):

1. Calibration: I will not recalibrate the monitor (internal calibration). The internal calibration was done on the intel Mac in Windows environment using the Dell calibrtaion software. I assume the calibration bit has to do only with the monitor and not the OS.
    2. Profiling: I will copy to the new Macbook the current profile used on the old  intel Macbook. The profile was creted with Dispcal already in MacOS environment (Big Sur I think) so unless with Sonoma things have chanced, based on what you say, it shoudl work fine (unless the different GPU is interfering…)

Agreed?

Old Man
    Participant

Calibration can involve the display and/or the OS. Of course, internal calibration *shouldn’t* be affected by the OS.

I think you should be good

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS