is it useful to create CCSS measurements

Home Forums General Discussion is it useful to create CCSS measurements

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Wizo
    Participant

How much would it help and improve the calibration process to have a CCSS file measurements? I have a spectrophotometer to generate it using Argyll but I am not sure if creating the file and using it would make an improvement to the calibration?

and what happen when I select actually from the correction menu “None” instead of any of the options, how does the calibration process actually differ?

if someone could shed some lights on these two points, that would be great!

Old Man
    Participant

It will help enough to be worth using your spectro.

I think both the DisplayCAL main page and/or the argyllcms documentation have good information on the topic, but in sum, yes, use your spectro to create a correction (unless you have a cheap spectro and an exotic display tech like QLED or OLED, then it *might* be better to use a correction generated by someone with a better spectro). Either way, don’t use “none”

Ben
    Participant

You do use none when you make a ccss.    It would really make a improvement.   There is a lot to consider so you cannot just say yes.   People need details to know your situation.    It makes big improvements in color managed apps.    Whitebalance for non-color managed apps would be perfect but without correction white is white even if not perfect.   Non ccss read white with a correction close enough with the right profile.   And I am guessing.     I never used a ccss.    Wizio hope you have a Vizio. lol   I need a ccss for a vizio v555-j01 with a TPV panel.

Wizo
    Participant

@Old Man

I have a X-Rite i1Pro 3 Spectrophotometer, and I can take  good spectral measurements. my monitor is an ASUS OLED, and I am having hard time calibrating it (sometimes it works, many others it does not!) regardless of my selection for correction whether from my own CCSS/CCMX measurements or from any other presets.

not sure what is going wrong

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Wizo.

Wizo
    Participant

Hey @Ben

I do not think what you are saying about using “None” is correct.

I understand that this selection basically determine the type of correction matrix to use during the calibration process, and selecting None would – probably- omit using any preset correction matrix, it WILL NOT generate a CCSS file just by itself!

to generate CCSS file one must use Argyll CCXXMAKE

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Wizo.

Vincent
    Participant

I assume that you have an i1d3 colorimeter, otherwise CCSS stuff is pointless.

Matrix = make your colorimeter measure the same as WRGB 255 measured by spectrophotometer. Custom, not portable

CCSS/EDR = use firmware data in i1d3 to model i1d3 “observer”, use a sample spectral power dsitribution (CCSS) to “simulate a measurement” with that observer and then with standard observer. Create a custom matrix between those measurements

None = assume that sample CCSS has the same spectral power distribution as i1d3 “observer” stored in firware.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

@Old Man

I have a X-Rite i1Pro 3 Spectrophotometer, and I can take  good spectral measurements. my monitor is an ASUS OLED, and I am having hard time calibrating it (sometimes it works, many others it does not!)

First of all check ABL behavior and drift… if display is not taht stable there is no way to model it.

Ben
    Participant

I should have looked it up.  A CCSS does not use a colorimeter if I understand correctly.    https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ccxxmake.html    .   There is an option in display Cal to make a ccss in the tools section.

I do not remember or know CCSS and CCMX.    CCSS is used for the correction in the default ones.   I lied saying I never used a CCSS.

Old Man
    Participant

Vincent’s right. OLED’s are harder to calibrate due to how dynamic they are. Mitigating that will require help from someone who’s successfully done it. I have an idea for a mod for DisplayCAL to handle this, but I’m not good at implementing these things, so, without help, it will probably be a long time before I figure it out, and even then, I’d have no idea how to release it.

I don’t know if an i1pro3 is capable of properly capturing your OLED. If it were me, I’d probably try anyway.

What aspect of the calibration isn’t working? If it’s white point, it could be metameric failure, which is common with OLED’s. Research using alternate white points or try a visual match with a known-good reference

Old Man
    Participant

A CCSS or CCMX is made by a spectro for use with a colorimeter. They are the “corrections” we frequently discuss.

Wizo
    Participant

I don’t know if an i1pro3 is capable of properly capturing your OLED. If it were me, I’d probably try anyway.

I did make spectral measurements using the i1Pro3 and converted that into CCSS file using Argyll, but this is my first time doing so, and I am afraid of missing something.

What aspect of the calibration isn’t working? If it’s white point, it could be metameric failure, which is common with OLED’s. Research using alternate white points or try a visual match with a known-good reference

it is not like one specific thing, rather the whole calibration process. Meaning, one time I would run the calibration and adjust the monitor settings (brightness, contrast, R, G, B channels) and it will give me very nice report after doing calibration verification.

and many other times, it would be very difficult to achieve anything below DE00 4.0…. and the worst part is that usually the white point is very often off (usually much higher than 6500K) depending on the adjustment of the R, G and B channels.

I seem to be struggling with this OLED to calibrate it correctly. and sometimes I am not sure if the adapted version of DisplayCal is fully functional and giving me the correct values or there is something wrong in the reported data.

Wizo
    Participant

would anyone suggest any other alternative for DisplayCal that can run smoothly on Linux with i1d just as a way to verify the behavior of DisplayCal?

any people with similar experience?

Old Man
    Participant

I don’t think there’s any good alternatives for linux, no. You could try using the argyllcms command line tools directly.

Otherwise, on windows, there’s HCFR, which is better for calibration (with DisplayCAL being better for profiling)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS