How to profile sensors with DisplayCal (or HCFR)

Home Forums General Discussion How to profile sensors with DisplayCal (or HCFR)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mkkler
    Participant

Translated with Google:

Hello everybody,
    Unfortunately I can’t find any instructions or the like and therefore the question is whether there are instructions or something that describes how to profile a sensor?

I have an X-Rite i1 Display Pro (EODIS3) and an X-Rite i1Pro 2 and would like to use them to profile the EODIS3 and then use the EODIS3 to create a 3D Lut for madVR using DisplayCal.

Would be great if there are instructions with which even a beginner can do it.
    Use HCFR if someone has instructions or something similar.

Thank you
    Sven

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Tools / Correction / create colorimeter correction

Make sure i1pro2 is in high res mode (3nm). Since not users have an i1Pro2, consider creating a CCSS and sharing it (if you wish a CCMX, just reate an additional CCSS fro sharing)

CCSS = spectral, trust colorimeter firmware data

CCMX = matrix, make i1d3 measure the same white as i1Pro2

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

HiRes mode will work for colorimeter correction if you set it for main procedures, look at attachement. I have i1pro2 and i1d3 both and use this method. Howether, i1pro2 and i1d3 (using correction made by my i1pro2) show different white points. I also use ColorMunki Design in 3nm mode for this correction. Profiling result is similar to i1pro2, though spectral graphs differs a bit. And… ColorMunki shows the third alternative WP. So, I don’t believe in X-Rite! ))) But, there’s no real choice. In practice my i1pro2 produces a bit warm/yellowish profiles, but they’re more balanced in saturated colors. (It is my tool for prints, ColorMunki is weak here and isn’t supported by most of proprietary software.) ColorMunki tends to little pink cast on WLED displays, but is generally OK at GB-r LED. i1Display Pro (EODIS3) is better in darks, of course, and it is much faster, but it is difficult to compare resulting WP with ColorMunki, what is right one? Two days before I’ve met reddish cast after profiling MacBook Pro 15 mid2018, none of my tools can resolve the problem. So now I prefer to correct WP xy coordinated by eye in this case or set them to match my BenW PQ270 WP (out of profile info), that is calibrated with Palette Master (actually i1Profiler) and i1d3 with native to Palette Master colorimeter correction.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

…attachements

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

HiRes mode will work for colorimeter correction if you set it for main procedures, look at attachement. I have i1pro2 and i1d3 both and use this method. Howether, i1pro2 and i1d3 (using correction made by my i1pro2) show different white points.

3nm CCSS made by i1pro2 applied to i1d3 =>relies on accuracy i1d3 spectral sensivity curves in firmware, also relies on 3nm being “good enough” for that SPD (which may be a problem with WLED PFS)
    SPD measured at 3nm, downgraded to 10nm by driver => information lost
    SPD measured at 3nm, direct 3nm data => information lost (specially WLED PFS), but less (at least measuring white not black)
    Actual SPD going through filters into i1d3 sensor != 3nm CCSS, at least for some SPDs with narrow spikes. For GB-LED or sRGB WLED it should be close.

3nm CCMX made by i1pro2 applied to i1d3 should be equal or ver very very close to i1Pro2 3nm readings. Matrix correction is a method for numeric match of two devices assuming some ideal RGB addition (which should be OK for a LED backlight)

I also use ColorMunki Design in 3nm mode for this correction. Profiling result is similar to i1pro2, though spectral graphs differs a bit. And… ColorMunki shows the third alternative WP. So, I don’t believe in X-Rite! )))

But, there’s no real choice. In practice my i1pro2 produces a bit warm/yellowish profiles, but they’re more balanced in saturated colors. (It is my tool for prints, ColorMunki is weak here and isn’t supported by most of proprietary software.) ColorMunki tends to little pink cast on WLED displays, but is generally OK at GB-r LED. i1Display Pro (EODIS3) is better in darks, of course, and it is much faster, but it is difficult to compare resulting WP with ColorMunki, what is right one?

Munki has no self correction based on tile. Also no NIST certified. Not a reference device. I’ll exclude it from comparisons if you have an i1Pro2

Two days before I’ve met reddish cast after profiling MacBook Pro 15 mid2018, none of my tools can resolve the problem. So now I prefer to correct WP xy coordinated by eye in this case or set them to match my BenW PQ270 WP (out of profile info), that is calibrated with Palette Master (actually i1Profiler) and i1d3 with native to Palette Master colorimeter correction.

mid2018 = WLED PFS with P3 gamut? here we go, read comment above.

i1d3 + DisplayCAL 1nm mac P3 WLED PFS should be very close to actual values if firmware data is to be trused. B + G channels are not so narrow spikes, so they should be close to 1nm reading (scaling each channel after making a CCSS with i1Pro2 3nm, since R innacuracies may potentially modify RGB channel balance in WP)

Also narrow R spikes in WLED PFS may be a potential source of observer metameric failure, even with a JETI / CR to measure. Visual match is the only solution.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Vincent, I’ve checked this 1nm correction (MacBook Pro Retina 2016). Yeah, it differs significantly. Seems to shift avarage weighted red wavelength over i1 measurements. I will test it tomorrow. Thank you!

ColorMunki has internal white tile (at calibration revolving unit position), it also passes several test steps with i1Diagnostics. I only heard that it is more noisy in darks and instances don’t pass individual metering at production line, but its sensor is the same. That are folks by Russian authorized serviceman. Why do write that it doesn’t have self correction?

Vincent
    Participant

I didn’t know it had a ceramic tile reflecting a very well known LED SPD like i1Pro2.

Jurin
    Participant

I also have an X-Rite i1 Display Pro (EODIS3) and an X-Rite i1Pro 2 and attempting to create a spectral sample to share of my 77″ Sony A80K WOLED .  What is the correct picture mode and specific settings to use to achieve “native gamut” that is not restricted artificially as the instructions indicate?  This would also be very useful information when profiling the EODIS3 in Calman with i1Pro2.

EP98
    Participant

I also have an X-Rite i1 Display Pro (EODIS3) and an X-Rite i1Pro 2 and attempting to create a spectral sample to share of my 77″ Sony A80K WOLED .  What is the correct picture mode and specific settings to use to achieve “native gamut” that is not restricted artificially as the instructions indicate?  This would also be very useful information when profiling the EODIS3 in Calman with i1Pro2.

Custom Picture mode

& rec.2020 should give you the widest gamut for profiling

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS