How does displaycal handle / manage hdmi switches and matrixes?

Home Forums General Discussion How does displaycal handle / manage hdmi switches and matrixes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

thevisi0nary
    Participant

I have a pretty unconventional setup where my desktop feeds multiple monitors in different rooms via fiber hdmi and fiber DisplayPort cables.

I’m curious how displaycal would handle the profile of a display that’s connected through an hdmi matrix (not a splitter). Would there be issues?

Vincent
    Participant

DisplayCAL does not handle profiles:

-it uses OS to register a profile as default profile, so apps asking OS for default profile for certain GPU poutput will get it
    -it keeps (periodic reload) VCGT data in GPU LUT output.

So if you are using extended desktop (not mirror) OS will publish per GPU output. Same for GPU LUT. So if your matrix is using one GPU outout and OS does not see two different displays… there can be only one profile.

thevisi0nary
    Participant

Thank you. So it is not per-monitor listed within windows but per output only? As in if I (hypothetically) physically unplugged one monitor and plugged in another, the display profile would not change?

I guess this would also mean that even if the hdmi switch/matrix was only outputting to one display at a time it would still not work.

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you. So it is not per-monitor listed within windows but per output only? As in if I (hypothetically) physically unplugged one monitor and plugged in another, the display profile would not change?

IDNK what you are talking about. An screenshot may help.

Regarding “per output” for example IDNK what 2 displays daisy chained through  display port MST will behave. I’ll say 1x VCGT even if windows sees two displays but I have not tested.

I guess this would also mean that even if the hdmi switch/matrix was only outputting to one display at a time it would still not work.

It’s the GPU, not the matrix/switch. Grey is corrected on each output VCGT and (as long as you are using extended desktop, not mirror) one profile per display-output

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS