Getting calibrate to match my prints

Home Forums Help and Support Getting calibrate to match my prints

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

echelonphoto
    Participant

Hi,

I am new here and just used display cal yesterday. I am reconstructing a system where the os drive fried. I am running windows 10. I found that DC works with my old gretag i one puck and the the profile is pretty good. I have been having problems ever since switching from windows 8 to 10….the color on my prints are very close, but the contrast is way higher on the prints. I am using Millers pro imageing.

I got unedited prints and then ones they color corrected. The color corrected are better…but I used to get prints that exactly matched my screen. Using an HP LP2275W monitor. I use mainly PS in srgb mode. My monitor is set at 100% contrast…so I think I have to do some gamma tweaking.

Vincent
    Participant

Do not use blackpoint compensation while creating a profile in DIsplayCAL so profile reflects actual black. If your HP contrast was very very low and you softoproof using an accurate printer profile, having actual display black L* value may help you to do not overlift simulatred black ink L*.

Of course we assume that you have a proper light SPD for print comparision and that you have a match for white in color & brightness.

echelonphoto
    Participant

thanks….so I can adjust this factor during the calibration?   I have also set my white point to 5K as I see tha prints i am getting have a warmer look than on my screen

Vincent
    Participant

thanks….so I can adjust this factor during the calibration?

No, you measure it. Then let softproof manage L* differences in black.

If wish to go the other way, you alter contrast at calibration stage using OSD controls then you should not use ink simulation in softproof. In PS you can disable it, AFAIK you can’t in C1 or other software.

I have also set my white point to 5K as I see tha prints i am getting have a warmer look than on my screen

In theory if you have a D50 SPD as light source, you can predict print looking by an accurate display profile at D50 and an accurate ICC printer profile (of the media used to produce such print)

But usually we do not have an exact D50 SPD or it’s UV content or your vision do not match std observer or your profile or measurement device has not enough accuracy, hence you may need some manual /visual tweak using  some standard white in D50-D58 range as a startint point.

Since these old or current low cost monitors do not have so many slots for each custom paper white match, like ColorNavigator has, it would be easier fro old/newer low cost monitors to get some middle point for white that acts OK as a “mean” for al possible paper media, then use DWMLUT to linearize device so it can be described (excluding whitepoint) by a synthetic single curve + matrix profile withput GPU calibration (for OS), and use several whitepoint synth profiles (native gamut) as source profile in DWMLUT + abs colorimetric intent.
    That way you can (try to) simulate several paper whites with DWMLUT without restarting Photoshop due to display prifle change, like if you had ColorNavigator and its HW calibration

But maybe to setup this may look too complex … and that’s why people buy Coloredges.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Vincent.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS