DisplayCAL vs novideo_srgb for ICM loading

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL vs novideo_srgb for ICM loading

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sunakashi
    Participant

I have wide gamut display with 188% sRGB, 130% AdobeRGB, 133% DCI-P3 volume. Uncalibrated looks oversaturated in red colors. Calibrated looks, subjectively, OK for me. To have properly sRGB standard on wide gamut with Nvidia cards, it is recommend to handle ICM by novideo_srg, instead of using DisplayCAL for loading ICM with sRGB profile on monitor OSD. But this brings me to question: What’s the point of having wide gamut monitor and then clamp it to sRGB if I generally use color managed apps like Lightroom and Photoshop? Firefox should be colour managed as well. Shouldn’t be priority to edit in wider gamut and then soft proof in sRGB if needed?

• This topic was modified 11 months ago by sunakashi.

sunakashi
    Participant

Also… sRGB clamped by novideo_srgb looks too desaturated for me.

S Simeonov
    Participant

It looks exactly as it should.

Vincent
    Participant

It looks exactly as it should.

When using colorspace simulations the dafault display ICC profile in OS must be set to whatever you are simulating.

So on non color managed apps like games or Office “It looks exactly as it should”, but if you kept driver/EDID/custom display profile as default display profile Photoshop will belive that monitor is still widegamut (although you are simulating sRGB) and will color managed desaturating in excess.

The whole point of novideo_sRGB is to use it in non color managed apps, or maybe to use nvidie dither in GPU calibration while simulating an idealized version of display native colorspace, but using DWMLUT is wiser for that 2nd use.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS