Different gamma curve in sRGB vs fixed 2.2?

Home Forums General Discussion Different gamma curve in sRGB vs fixed 2.2?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

memoriaphoto
    Participant

Hi all,

I noticed something puzzling. When manually switching gamma settings in my Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 to “sRGB gamma” and then to fixed “2.2” there is a subtle change in the curve. The 2.2 mode is sliiiightly more contrasty. Blacks a bit blacker than sRGB gamma.

I would have thought that the response would be identical. Isn’t sRGB 2.2? How come it is lighter in the shadows?

The monitor is currently NOT profiled, I am using the generic sRGB profile in windows AND the color mode in the monitor is set to sRGB so blackpoint should be the same in both scenarios. The only thing I am changing/testing is the gamma value (2.2->sRGB) and I am doing this in the monitor settings

Any thoughts? Reason for this test is because I tend to get problems sometimes when editing images in my normally fully calibrated wide gamut space. I usually edit based on “look and feel” and when blacks look good to my eye in my environment they are almost always nearly crushed on my clients displays. I have been fighting this a lot and figured one way would be to set my environment to match my clients. Not by the book in any way but nevertheless…I read somewhere that most office monitors have a fixed gamma 2.2 curve and not sRGB per se. So in order to mimic an “out of the box” monitor for most office users I set my display to sRGB, then fixed gamma 2.2 and brightness around 160 (color accuracy is of course another topic)

Thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

Hi all,

I noticed something puzzling. When manually switching gamma settings in my Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 to “sRGB gamma” and then to fixed “2.2” there is a subtle change in the curve. The 2.2 mode is sliiiightly more contrasty. Blacks a bit blacker than sRGB gamma.

I would have thought that the response would be identical. Isn’t sRGB 2.2? How come it is lighter in the shadows?

By definition. English wikipedia sRGB

The monitor is currently NOT profiled, I am using the generic sRGB profile in windows AND the color mode in the monitor is set to sRGB so blackpoint should be the same in both scenarios. The only thing I am changing/testing is the gamma value (2.2->sRGB) and I am doing this in the monitor settings

Any thoughts? Reason for this test is because I tend to get problems sometimes when editing images in my normally fully calibrated wide gamut space. I usually edit based on “look and feel” and when blacks look good to my eye in my environment they are almost always nearly crushed on my clients displays. I have been fighting this a lot and figured one way would be to set my environment to match my clients. Not by the book in any way but nevertheless…I read somewhere that most office monitors have a fixed gamma 2.2 curve and not sRGB per se. So in order to mimic an “out of the box” monitor for most office users I set my display to sRGB, then fixed gamma 2.2 and brightness around 160 (color accuracy is of course another topic)

Thanks!

memoriaphoto
    Participant

By definition. English wikipedia sRGB

I am not that experienced when it comes to gamma curves so didn’t quite get what was written on wiki. Are you saying my findings are normal? sRGB gamma is slightly “lighter” in the low shadows vs proper 2.2?

Vincent
    Participant

sRGB TRC is not 2.2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB#/media/File:SRGB_gamma.svg

Blue line, Y= “puntual gamma value”, X=input RGB number (scalling 0-255 to 0..1 decimal numbers range)

JohnD
    Participant

This link has a good graphic showing the difference between the different TRCs: https://docs.krita.org/en/general_concepts/colors/linear_and_gamma.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS