Differences between calibration with Lg True Color Pro and Datacolor

Home Forums General Discussion Differences between calibration with Lg True Color Pro and Datacolor

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is 125% of srgb a problem for colour accuracy? What happens when I go to calibrate the monitor with displaycal? Do I always get the maximum 100% gamut?

Vincent
    Participant

Is 125% of srgb a problem for colour accuracy?

Color managed or using DWMLUT no issues. Non color managed overall oversaturation in green-red primaries (typical).

What happens when I go to calibrate the monitor with displaycal?

Displaycal only corrects white & grey. I explained it before. Then creates an ICC that can be used for color managed apps

Do I always get the maximum 100% gamut?

Unless monitor has some OSD preset to limit gamut, yes, full native gamut. Thats why we use now DWMLUT or simpler apps like novideo_sRGB or AMD settings to emulate sRGB on edid data. Read their documentation, very useful tools.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I get it. When I lower the brightness of the monitor, does it also lower the static contrast? What will be the static contrast of a monitor that has, for example, a ratio of 4000:1 at a brightness of 120 cd/m2?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Reading an old thread about a viewsonic monitor I came across this statement of yours:
    Note:  when you use Colorbration it is possible that due to that software limitations & over simplifications “asumed vs measured whitepoint” is “Not OK”. DO not worry too much about it, it can be corrected later in DisplayCAL if you wish to, but a*b* values for grey should be “grey” , something like a* = 0.x, 1.3 at most… not 3.x. This problem you say is possible to correct later, if yes, how? Is it possible to solve it also in my case? (Calibration done with Lg Calibration studio and verification with displycal)
    Thank you very much for your time

Vincent
    Participant

OK, I get it. When I lower the brightness of the monitor, does it also lower the static contrast? What will be the static contrast of a monitor that has, for example, a ratio of 4000:1 at a brightness of 120 cd/m2?

It should remain in the same range (all other OSD settings equal) , but in the end contrast may drop in the lower end of OSD brightness in some models.

Vincent
    Participant

Reading an old thread about a viewsonic monitor I came across this statement of yours:
    Note:  when you use Colorbration it is possible that due to that software limitations & over simplifications “asumed vs measured whitepoint” is “Not OK”. DO not worry too much about it, it can be corrected later in DisplayCAL if you wish to, but a*b* values for grey should be “grey” , something like a* = 0.x, 1.3 at most… not 3.x. This problem you say is possible to correct later, if yes, how? Is it possible to solve it also in my case? (Calibration done with Lg Calibration studio and verification with displycal)
    Thank you very much for your time

Full GPU calibration on top of your HW calibration to correct grey = do the same as if monitor had no HW calibration.

or since we have DMWLUT use it as alternative to full grey calibration on GPU LUTs

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does Colorbration+ therefore suffer from the same problems as lg calibration studio? If so, have you had a chance to test this other program or is this just an assumption?

Vincent
    Participant

All current vendor HW calibration solutions oversimplify grey calibration.
    Using Colornavigation or Spectraview II this makes sense since grey is neutral out of the box, you only need to take a few measurements to measure uncalibrated TRC (“gamma”).
    Meanwhile in low cost models it may cause the grey range issues we see in your report because monitor manufacturer cannot get that QC at that price => you may need to use GPU calibration or derived solutions like DWMLUT.

Regarding colorimeter corrections you just have to check by yourself. Download it and check EDR corrections for i1d3 colorimeter, then check backlight used for your desired display.
    Your spyder X will be innacurate anyway since it uses justa a bundle of built in matrix corrections and cannot be updated unless you have an spectrophotometer while i1d3 can use distributed update based on CCSS/EDR

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I would get errors as measured vs assumed target whitepoint even with that monitor right? Because the software just as you say cannot correct the greys. You called it a cheap monitor but it costs 700 euro ahahah, how much does a monitor with good Hw cost? Also what kind of panel do you recommend, IPS or VA?

Vincent
    Participant

So I would get errors as measured vs assumed target whitepoint even with that monitor right? Because the software just as you say cannot correct the greys.

I did not say that. Read again… you aregoing around in circles, it was explained previously. It may not be able to correct grey range issues (grey with color).

OTOH whitepoint issues are caused:
    -intentionally by user targeing a wp off from daylight locus
    -by using a different colorimeter correction than DisplayCAL (and DisplayCAL user selecting the proper one for comparision). This is what you need to check on every vendor calibration app (EDR/CCSS if you had an i1displaypro)
    -by wrong dessign of application, like modifying brightness after calibrating.

You called it a cheap monitor but it costs 700 euro ahahah, how much does a monitor with good Hw cost? Also what kind of panel do you recommend, IPS or VA?

There are $1500 low cost low quality monitors. There are $600 high quality monitors. I’m afraid that you do not understand that concept.

These low cost low quality $1500 monitors cost that much because you cannot get that resolution adn size and gamut for less… and still they lack of quality control.
    In the same way you can get a good widegamut monitor for $600 with top QC, but in a 24″ 1920×1200

IDNK which viewsonic model you are talking about (QHD vs UHD, sRGB vs widegamut) hence I cannot know if it is a cheap low cost monitor (like 27″ QHD widegamut) or if it is overpriced (27″ UHD sRGB).
    For example NEC EA271U is sRGB-like, 27″ UHD with HW cal (buy you need to pay for software) is about 650-700 euro. Eizo EV conterpart are overpriced for the same or less.
    To add another example Eizo CS2731 is about 1000 euro and the cheapest and safest option if you wish 27″ QHD widegamut end HW calibration. It is cheap, really.

Hence price means nothing regarding “lowcost label” if you do not explain model & features.

If you meant viewsonic VP series sRGB-only they have reasonable prices, their HW calibration software has the required EDR corrections for THAT TYPE (White LED sRGB only, like LG)… but if grey is not neutral out of the box, it may not be able to correct it.
    Try to find  review on prad.de, look for deltaC and range values in uncalibrated, factory “standard” mode and after HW calibration. High grey range means those issues.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m talking about the ViewSonic VP2768a-4K with hardware calibration

Vincent
    Participant

If you meant viewsonic VP series sRGB-only they have reasonable prices, their HW calibration software has the required EDR corrections for THAT TYPE (White LED sRGB only, like LG)… but if grey is not neutral out of the box, it may not be able to correct it.
    Try to find  review on prad.de, look for deltaC and range values in uncalibrated, factory “standard” mode and after HW calibration. High grey range means those issues.

Vincent
    Participant

FYI, just checked

Colorbration+ (1.1.0.5) support for i1d3:
    White LED  (LED sRGB only) and GB-LED (old widegamut models like Dell U2713H from 2013)
    All new QD or WLED PFS are unsupported, you’ll havce to play with EDR binary editing

LG Calibration Studio 6.4.1
    White LED  (LED sRGB only) and GB-LED (old widegamut models like Dell U2713H from 2013)
    All new QD or WLED PFS are unsupported, you’ll havce to play with EDR binary editing

So at least with an i1DisplayPro application can measure properly sRGB only models and it’s up to hwardware QC and buggy software that resulting calibration has bad grey range or fails to calibrate very close to desired white.

bohemianjapsody
    Participant

Sorry for reviving this olde thread, but it’s the most recent I could find mentioning True Color Pro.

I’m trying to load a LUT into my LG monitor (31MU97) but the new LG Calibration Software won’t recognise the monitor.
    Sadly I can’t find True Color Pro on my disks nor an online download anywhere anymore.

If one of you still has the most recent mac version somewhere and would be able to provide it, it would be a tremendous help! Thank you in advance!!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS