Calibration: workflow + results thoughts

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration: workflow + results thoughts

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

user124853
    Participant

Now, I got it! thank you
    It’s possible that when I’ve run the Verify calibration test, in the Verification tab I suppose that it was checked Simulation profile, sRGB/ Rec.1886. I’ll run the tests again according to case (1) exposed above by you and I’ll come back with a feed-back.

Regarding the manual tuning, indeed it was made using RGB individual LCD controls.

user124853
    Participant

@Euri Pinhollow,
    I decide to (re)calibrate and I have some new concerns as follows,
    could you be so kind?

1-Before I begin the calibrating process using the monitor adjusting buttons, is that ok to set up in Win OS/Color Management section, the sRGB profile?

2-As long as there will be no 1D LUT settings applied on Video card but the monitor is manual adjusted to achive the desired whitepoint/whitelevel, Is that ok if after the calibration process is done (without using profiling, 1D LUT) to uninstall DisplayCAL software?

Thanks,

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1-Before I begin the calibrating process using the monitor adjusting buttons, is that ok to set up in Win OS/Color Management section, the sRGB profile?

The windows color management settings do not matter during calibration/profiling.

2-As long as there will be no 1D LUT settings applied on Video card but the monitor is manual adjusted to achive the desired whitepoint/whitelevel, Is that ok if after the calibration process is done (without using profiling, 1D LUT) to uninstall DisplayCAL software?

Sure, but why would you want to do that? It is generally advisable to re-calibrate/profile every other month or so (more frequently if you are using the display professionally).

user124853
    Participant

Hey there, thanks.
    1-I thought that using sRGB or no profile in that tab, calibrating process will produce different results.

2-Actually I’ve asked in order to find if the software (even if doesn’t affect the video card table) have any influence not using 1D LUT.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1-I thought that using sRGB or no profile in that tab, calibrating process will produce different results.

No, it’s irrespective of any assigned profile.

2-Actually I’ve asked in order to find if the software (even if doesn’t affect the video card table) have any influence not using 1D LUT.

I see. If you do not use 1D LUT calibration (= tone curve “as measured”), then yes, you can uninstall the software without influencing the effect of the profile. Otherwise, you’ll likely want the calibration loader that comes with DisplayCAL, because the Windows internal one has some shortcomings.

Euri Pinhollow
    Participant
    1. Windows does in no way comvert colour unless requested by program. Color conversion happens upon explicit software action (either with Microsoft engine or any other), with a profile obtained from OS.
    2.  Yes. I cannot imagine a way in which Profile Loader may affect 1D LUT but if you are trying to catch some bug you may well do it (or just disable the autostart of Profile Loader using MsConfig.exe)

user124853
    Participant

Thank you,

I’ve done the calibration, using the above mentioned settings—attached is the report made using no simulation profile.

Regarding the OS Color management,
    -the default profile was installed/changed (by Display CAL) as I expected;
    -In Advanced tab/ Device profile should I also switch to the new created profile or sRGB?
    -How about here in Change System Defaults > Advanced tab / Device profile, should I also switch to the new created profile or sRGB?
    -Another particular case, FastPicture viewer for example, have an option for custom monitor profile. If I am using the new created profile, we have this result in comparation with the result displayed in browser. On the other hand, If we are using sRGB, everything looks fine—any thoughts, how can I manage this in other softwares, which profile should be used?

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Euri Pinhollow
    Participant
    • those are default profiles. Pay no attention to it.
    • those are default default profiles for new users. Pay no attention to it.
    • you should setup your browser to use new profile. I ended up with modifying at least 4 settings for Firefox.

user124853
    Participant

thanks,
    I didn’t know that I can set up the browser tu use a specified color profile, I’ll read about that.

Regarding FastPicture Viewer and other software (e.g Lightroom/ Photoshop, etc, if there are any which allow me to use the new profile) should I try to implement it or leave it sRGB?

Euri Pinhollow
    Participant

Depending on whether FastStone reads the monitor profile from OS or not, you may don’t do it or do it. Read the manual to discover it.

It looks like the “enable colour management” tells FastStone to obtain display profile from OS – you’d better leave “custom profile” unchecked in this case because you may discover that white level of your display drifts and, after compensatnig for it from OSD menu, the tone response will shift too, that means that you will be creating a fresh profile frequently.

This is what I discovered myself about my own LCD. It drifts permanently – less so after case removal but still far from being tolerable. I ended with making a matrix profile before each editing session – takes 15 min, quite tolerable.

user124853
    Participant

At this point I am so confused because I can’t see the same image (talking about the color macthnig) in FastStone picture viewer, Photoshop, web browser (Firefox with enable color profile) so annoying.

LE: I guess that u’re right. I’ve applied the same rule to all the situations as follows:

-Firefox:
    Using Color management 0.5.3.1. Extension, Preferences / Display profile (Blank, which is the system default set by DisplayCAL);

-Photoshop:
    Checked with Proof colors / Proof setup / Monitor RGB

-Chrome using
    Shortcut Target: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” –enable-monitor-profile

The images are look the same in every case 🙂
    In conclusion, I guess that is not properly to (re)assign and point the monitor new profile, but to let the apps choose the system default profile which is the new profile created by DispplayCAL.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by user124853.

Euri Pinhollow
    Participant

I suspect that usage of “default profile”  may be wrong. The “default profile” setting which you took screenshot of is device independent and will be reported for every display not having an associated profile. However, it seems to me that programs will read not the said “default profile” but monitor-specific profile instead.

P.S. You may write to this thread only next time you’d like to hear a comment from me. I am subscribed to updates, notifications are going to my emailbox.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Florian, could you lend me some thoughts about these two reports:

1st link is with the spectral correction, 2nd link is with the correction from the database. I’m goin’ to calibrate again and I need some help. 🙂 Which correction is better?

https://hub-assets.displaycal.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Measurement20Report203.0.5.020E2809420DELL20U2913WM20402002C2002C202560x108020E28094202015-12-182020-14-3.html

https://hub-assets.displaycal.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Measurement20Report203.0.5.020E2809420DELL20U2913WM20402002C2002C202560x108020E28094202015-12-212004-27-3.html

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Which correction is better?

“Better” is a very subjective term. What you’re probably interested in is which is more accurate, and to really get an answer to that question, you’d need a more accurate reference than your current instrument to check against (e.g. a spectrometer).

That said, the results using either correction don’t look that far apart, in fact, the main difference seems to be the choice of calibration gamma (2.4 vs 2.2).

S Simeonov
    Participant

Which correction is better?

“Better” is a very subjective term. What you’re probably interested in is which is more accurate, and to really get an answer to that question, you’d need a more accurate reference than your current instrument to check against (e.g. a spectrometer).

That said, the results using either correction don’t look that far apart, in fact, the main difference seems to be the choice of calibration gamma (2.4 vs 2.2).

The spectral correction is giving more sRGB % coverage, than the one from the online database. ~96% vs 93%

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS