Calibration settings for HDTV content

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration settings for HDTV content

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

zarusoba10
    Participant

Just last week I got a colorimeter and was able to make the display sRGB compliant. I’m satisfied.

So I decided to make a 3D lut for watching HDTV content (mainly Japanese animation). I heard that the gamma of HDTV is 2.4, but the information out there says that there is a problem with BT.1886.

I don’t understand the difficulty yet, but I would like to know the recommended settings for display cal to watch HDTV content.
    Is “2.4 power gamma” sufficient for EOTF?

The display I’m using is a typical IPS display with a contrast ratio of 1000:1.

Vincent
    Participant

The display I’m using is a typical IPS display with a contrast ratio of 1000:1.

Then don’t use Rec1886, you won’t get 2.4. Usually try 2.4 relative black ouytput 100%.

Of yourse you can test by yourself, calibrate & validate and see resulting 2D plot “gamma value” (Y) vs RGB input (X). Rec1886 will bend (lower) gamma value near blacks by specification.

Old Man
    Participant

Also, these recommendations assume you’re viewing in a dim (5-nit) environment. If you’re viewing in a bright environment, target 2.2 instead

S Simeonov
    Participant

And if you watch movies in a complete dark room, use 2.6 gamma.

Old Man
    Participant

I’ve hypothesized about that as well, but some people argue that’s not true. I think you should go with whatever looks good to you. Ideally, the standard calls for dim. So you’d have a dark room with a bias light

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS