Calibration Hardware experiences

Home Forums General Discussion Calibration Hardware experiences

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Christopher
    Participant

After alot of research and investigation I’ve finally gotten my display to calibrate to a 6504K; as well as a 950 contrast ratio, although that number sometimes drop to about 850 it’s nothing I’m super concerned about.

Anyone who is calibrating, it is so crucial that your monitor comes within such a fraction percentage of kelvins to 6504k, whether that is .22 or smaller if not exact. Thus all colors will fall perfectly inline especially with sRGB / Rec709, but not just these gamuts but any gamut which you are calibrating too.

There is one other thing, your calibrator. Without this piece of hardware you cannot accurate calibrate your display so that; as you’ve read online, to achieve the color you see or pick using a color picker is the exact color in real life. Therefore based on my experience and lack of experience from the past; I highly recommend the X-rite iDisplay Pro series calibrator, unfortunately they are discontinued but if you seek, hopefully you will find. I know there is the HL version but I have yet to test this series of new hardware calibrators and based on discussion many do not recommend; I suppose unless you want to upgrade.

Although not just any iDisplay Pro, there are roughly three different versions, you want the one which is not OEM or has customized software which won’t be compatible with software specifically for X-rite calibrators. The spyder is good, and it’s more affordable but not as accurate as the iDisplay Pro at reading all the values; maybe you’d be fortunate and get close to 6500K, then again; maybe not.

I’ve tried almost every command in ArgyIICMS, DisplayCAL and one or two other profiling calibrating software so I know which one is the strongest and which is the weakest at this point. I wanted to calibrate a display which I thought was nearly impossible to calibrate to 6500K, I ask countless times on this forum, getting input from most specifically Vincent who explained things then I had to go back to the beginning to understand what was not working; it was frustrating !

Some on this forum have a good knowledge of displays, then again; many don’t the ones who have the knowledge as I’ve gained don’t necessarily walk one though step-by-step on how to calibrate your display or why it’s not working.

If your display says it can do for example accurate colors as my Asus monitor claimed, you just have to work at it. Although I plan on putting on my web site how to make this process straight forward and painful, my pain; your gain. I calibrated a pro-sumer display; it’s not an OLED those are in the top of the line range, rather a good entry level for video, graphics etc.

Gaming monitors may be able to be calibrated but, in alot of games the calibration is done within the game to the display for the user, your only thing to do is; run the game, simple !

And finally, I’m hoping someone here knows if there is an equivalent program to this for Windows it’s a little program from a few years back which can graphically show your ICC / ICM file and where your display falls on the D65 white point, it’s called ICC Examin 1.0 although this is for Android but one cannot even get the Android version no longer unless I guess directly though the author.

Vincent
    Participant

After alot of research and investigation I’ve finally gotten my display to calibrate to a 6504K; as well as a 950 contrast ratio, although that number sometimes drop to about 850 it’s nothing I’m super concerned about.

Anyone who is calibrating, it is so crucial that your monitor comes within such a fraction percentage of kelvins to 6504k, whether that is .22 or smaller if not exact. Thus all colors will fall perfectly inline especially with sRGB / Rec709, but not just these gamuts but any gamut which you are calibrating too.

No, thats false. No one cares about 6504K CCT. You can even want to use other.

I’ve tried almost every command in ArgyIICMS, DisplayCAL and one or two other profiling calibrating software so I know which one is the strongest and which is the weakest at this point. I wanted to calibrate a display which I thought was nearly impossible to calibrate to 6500K, I ask countless times on this forum, getting input from most specifically Vincent who explained things then I had to go back to the beginning to understand what was not working; it was frustrating !

No one cares about 6504K CCT. It’s a false asumption.

And finally, I’m hoping someone here knows if there is an equivalent program to this for Windows it’s a little program from a few years back which can graphically show your ICC / ICM file and where your display falls on the D65 white point

Just use DiplayCAL profile info. But some profiles store white as PCS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS