Calibration for Several Displays in a company.

Home Forums General Discussion Calibration for Several Displays in a company.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Alex Guy
    Participant

Hello!

Recently accepted a position in a creative team for a large company and it occurred to me that no one calibrates their displays.

I have the authority to take this on and implement regular calibrations but my experience is as a solo photographer focusing on one display or two at most.

This is niche enough that I didn’t know who else to ask. But does anyone have experience calibrating entire fleets of displays and have advice  , pointers,tips, things to avoid, etc?

Surprised it doesnt seem to have caused a major issue, yet. But even to my eye, at a casual glance, their is a wide variance in baseline color and output, across the board, that I would love to reign in.

Thanks for your time, regardless! Have been helped numerous times by this forum but finally making an account to ask, for myself.

Vincent
    Participant

If you plan to have several displays for color critical works you usually aim for Eizo CG line, because of the integrated colorimeter and scheduled calibration task from a common network tool. It saves time which is money: from time work of the person who calibrated them or from the person that works with display.

Let’s assume this is not the case, that you have several displays drom several manufacturers and possibly several display technologies:  catalog them by model and if you know it by display backlight tech
    Let’s assume D65 as target, common ambient light enviroment so you apply same brightness,  and common apps/tools non color managed so you can assume same trc gamma. I mean let’s assume than you can use a common calibration target for all displays.

If you/the company owns an i1d3, by previous catalog choose colorimeter correction and calibrate manually each one, by default simple curve + matrix profile (unless proven unreliable to bad behaved displays), then run a verification. This multiplied by each dislay can be time consuming which means money.
    If the company/you has an spectrophotometer you can create customized colorimeter corrections for each display or if you do not wish to waste time, per display model (CCSS).
    If company owns no one of these devices, an Xrite i1d3 colorimeter seems a sensible choice as starting point.

Depening on GPU tool you may end with banding due to calibration. UI/UX designers or illustrators can complain about this issue, about being happier with no calibration. Since it is an enterprise enviroment using DWMLUT may or not may be considered mature enough to rely on it calibration loading and solve the issue.

Due to the use of generic colorimeter corrections (or misuse of them, or identifiying wrong display tech) there may be a mismatch even usig the same measured coords with a colorimeter. You may ignore it or use a visual match of the more deviated displays. If using visual match add that info, that offset from white point to display catalog (per individual display) so you can recall it as calibration target next time you’ll have to recalibrate.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS