Calibrating Small HD Cine 13 Monitor

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrating Small HD Cine 13 Monitor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tobi
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m new to the world of calibration and I have two Small HD Cine 13 monitors I want to calibrate. Right now they look really different with the factory calibration. My goal is to do a calibration on both monitors to make them look the same (create a 3D Lut and import it on the monitor). For this I use the Displaycal software (monitor connected via HDMI to a macbook/also tried on windows 11) and a Calibrite Display Plus HL Probe, which is recognized by the software. Calibration and creating a LUT works and I did run that process 4-5 times, but I did not get good results. I think the main reason is that I don’t know the exact matching settings in displaycal for my setup. Has anybody done that before and does know the settings for the displaycal software in combination with the Small HD Cine 13? That would be perfect 🙂

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

First of all you need to know or find LED backlight type. As a hint change OSD mode to the widest gamut possible (not Rec2020, that is s imulation) and measure. You can try to find that info online or in community database https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net.

Then running a verifiation on both displays may shed light on that ambiguous sentence from you “Right now they look really different with the factory calibration”.
    Matbe there is just a white point issue, mayeb you have setup the in different oSD modes, maybe there is a gamma or brightness diference. No data, we do not know. You can use HCFR for this too.

Once you know what is going on and once you configure the proper OSD mode for both displays, create a detailed profile XYZLUT for both, then a LUT3D to simulate whatever you want to to (usually Rec709, D65, 100nit gamma 2.4, I assume)

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Vincent.

Tobi
    Participant

I think my problem is that there is no way in Small HD monitors to set the white point correct when it is requested from the display cal UI. As you can see in the picture right before the calibration it says that there is too much green in my display, but I don’t have any chance to correct this before I start the calibration. In the display cal user interface I selected “Whitepoint: as messured”. In calibration mode, the Small HD monitor has no controller to correct this before calibration starts. Is there a work around so display cal can work without bringing the display to the correct white point? That would be perfect.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ben
    Participant

What input are you using?   It should have a color temp adjustment.    This will help with the manual.  https://guide.smallhd.com/m/prod4k

Ben
    Participant

Ben
    Participant

You want to set the white point to D65 in displaycal.  It will adjust the 3d lut to match it if it can not be hardware matched.

Ben
    Participant

I think you are going to have to use HCFR to find the right calibrite profile.   Put screen in default factory calibration and match settings in HCFR and see which profile tracks the primary colors best in the primary color saturation test.   I say test but it the reports.   It is not a oled screen and is edge lit a IPS with 100 rec709 coverage.    I guess it is white led.   It might be a quantum led.   I think SmallHD would let you know if it was.   Amazing it has 1300 contrast.   Can Qleds even give 1600 contrast?  I see 2023 Vizio quantum leds listed at displayspecifcations.com  with 1600 static contrast.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS