Best Gamma Settings for madVR 3D LUT

Home Forums Help and Support Best Gamma Settings for madVR 3D LUT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Leming
    Participant

My purpose is to create a 3D LUT for madVR so I can get the best picture quality with my system (PC to Samsung Q70 TV) when watching movies.

As we all know that most LCD TVs don’t have very high contrast, and if Gamma is not properly calibrated, some dark details will be lost.  So I have this question, to save as much dark details as possible, what will be the best settings when creating 3D LUT for madVR?

On TV:  should Gamma be set to BT.1886 or 2.2?

On DisplayCAL:  should Gamma be set to BT.1886 or 2.2 (relative 100%) or 2.4 (relative 100%)?  My understanding is that “relative 100%” helps saving dark details.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.

My TV has enough luminance output, 250 cd/m2 under 709 and 450 cd/m2 under HDR.

Many thanks to your input!

Vincent
    Participant

Missing black level data at your settings (contrast window). That will give you a hint about Rec1886 vs 2.4 relative.

Leming
    Participant

Missing black level data at your settings (contrast window). That will give you a hint about Rec1886 vs 2.4 relative.

The tested black level is 0.067 cd/m2, and white level is 252 cd/m2, so the contrast is about 3700.

Under this situation, what setting in profiling do you recommend?

Vincent
    Participant

On high contrast displays Rec1886 tracks closer 2.4, google what Rec1886 actually is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS