Dark ranges too bright after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Dark ranges too bright after calibration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

AspirinJunkie
    Participant

I calibrated my Surface Pro 8 with a DataColor Spyder 4.
    The white value and the colors in general have obviously improved quite positively after calibration.
    However, the dark areas have become much paler, so that nothing of the previously crisp black is visible anymore. (near black turns to grey)
    It therefore appears much less contrasty.

I am now wondering whether this is either due to my DisplayCal settings or whether my colorimeter is no longer good enough for these areas.

My settings were as follows:

mode: LCD (generic)  (i don't know what to choose for the Surface 8)
    white level drift compensation: no
    black level drift compensation: no
    minimum display update delay: 25 ms
    output levels: Full range RGB 0-255
    Correction: Auto (none) (again i don`t know what to choose)

Obeserver: CIE 1931 2°
    Whitepoint: Color temperature 6500°K
    Reference: Daylight
    White level: as measured
    Black level: As measured
    Tone curve: sRGB
    Black output offset: 100%
    Ambient light level adjustment: no
    Black point correction: Auto - Rate: 4.00
    calibration speed: high

profile type: XYZ LUT + matrix
    black point compensation: no
    profile quality: high
    testchart: auto-optimized
    Patch sequence: minimize display response delay

The screen has been warmed up for several hours before calibration.
    During calibration, the surroundings were completely darkened so that no other light sources were present apart from the screen.

Perhaps someone can give me a tip on what I could change in the settings to calibrate the dark areas correctly. I would of course also be grateful for any further tips and optimization of my settings.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ben
    Participant

The eyes are just to sensitive.   I think seeing grey on a grey background is worse than not seeing grey 1 to 4 RGB on grey.   There is many options.  After my experiment to get 1 to 4 seen using the backlight control makes grey 0,0,0  a lot more black.     Turning the nits down will make 0,0,0 look darker.

Try a calibration to native tone curve and turn off auto black correction.    Auto black correction  turns up  0 from 0,0,0 to make all 0,0,0 closer to color tempature.   Not needed for a good grey scale.   0 is not part of grey scale and is supposed to be invisible but is not because of screens backlight.   A tone curve close to your tone curve on display would be good to use and get less banding.   Output Offset 100 is going to make things grey visible the most it can.   Setting it lower is good.  Getting some greys to look more black than grey is what will look not washed out.

AspirinJunkie
    Participant

To understand: The calibration does not necessarily have an error, but my subjective perception of the gray values only deviates from this?

I would like to implement your suggestions, but I’m not quite sure which settings they relate to. I’ll try my hand at an interpretation:

Try a calibration to native tone curve

Instead of Tone curve “sRGB” should I select “as measured” instead?

turn off auto black correction

You mean the “Black point correction” to deselect “auto” and set to “0 %”? Do i still have to set a “Rate” then?
    Btw.: When i switch the “tone curve” to “as measured” the option disappears .

Output Offset 100 is going to make things grey visible the most it can.   Setting it lower is good.

Does that mean I should “play” with values below 100%? Any empirical values?

Basically: Do I have to perform a new calibration with measurement every time or can I also adjust settings and use the “create the profile from measurement data”?

Are there any other general tips on my settings?
    Otherwise, thank you very much for the advice!

Ben
    Participant

Which apps do you use for viewing content?

You do not have to do a new measurement if you do not change hardware or OS settings.

I just suggest not useing Srgb.  I think 2.2 and 2.4 is about standard.   Bt1886 at 2.4 is nice .

Tone curve to native tone keeps the gamma the same and does no display calibration but it sets the color for color manged apps.

Auto calibration is what really messed changed things to unknown state.    You would have to inspect to the profile and the look up table to see how much.   Go to profile associations and click on the profile and then click on profile infomation in the Displaycal profile loader.   Right click on load to see the options.    The reset option is the same as native tone curve in the desktop.

I think some like 0 offset.   It does not  compensate for the screens black greyness.   It is up to your eyes what offset.

Guillaume
    Participant

Switch to BT1886. In fact your display has an IPS panel with a not that bad contrast ratio, 1350+:1 is very good. It would fix the too bright shadows.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Guillaume. Reason: Typo
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS