XPS 9560 FHD Help

Home Forums Help and Support XPS 9560 FHD Help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Sergio Baptista
    Participant

Hi all.

I am trying to re calibrate my dell xps 9560 FHD with displaycal.  I am using a X-Rite i1Studio. I calibrated it once a few months ago but didnt save what I did and now i am not getting the same results. i also update the SSD so all lost.  I’ve been checking this forum for answers but  all xps9560 questions are around the 4k version.

Question is what are the best settings. Itried gamma2.2, D50 with gamma 2.2, D65 … but always get a magenta or blueish color. Not sure what i am doing wrong.

– Should I able black level drift?

– Which mode is best LCD adapatative Hi res, LCD adaptative, LCD generic

• Profile type? shall i mess around with this?

Any help will be apreciated.

I’ve attached the last calibration i did which still is dark and magenta.

Regards to all,

Sergio

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Spectros are not good devices for full color patches measurements in a display (slow, dark patches). Xrite spectros are not very suitable for newer backlights (WLED PFS), so for measuring white and 100% saturation primeries better to use high res adaptative.

Try to get an i1d3 colorimeter. Make a correction for it with your i1Studio  at high res adaptative (3nm) and share it with community if you wish. Calibrate & profile using corrected i1d3 colorimeter.

If you are forced by choice or budget to use the non optimal solution you have, you’ll hve to choose between the lesser evil.
    If that display is a widegamut led (non OLED) try using high res adaptative, medium speed (maybe fast), single curve matrix with black point compensation.
    If that display is a sRGB-like led you can try using high res adaptative (better white) or adaptative (maybe better dark patch readings?), medium speed (maybe fast), single curve matrix with black point compensation.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

Sergio Baptista
    Participant

Hi  Vincent,

Thank you for your tips and explanation. I cant get a i1d3 and only have the i1studio.

Both your options didn’t work. I got a display blownout on the highlights and very, very yellowish.

I then tried some other options and so far the best settings are the ones i am attaching. But still is too dark and a bit magenta (not much).

I really need some help here.

Thanks

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Both your options didn’t work. I got a display blownout on the highlights and very, very yellowish.

Without data is hard to tell if it’s user fault, program limitation or device limitation.

For example check resulting profile TRC (blownout).

D55 is yellow compared to cool bluish white from most laptops out of the box. If it is an sRGB-LED laptop display and you measured it in high res (3nm), white is very accurate (+- rounding error due to GPU LUT limited precision… and since it’s a laptop embeded screen there is nothing you can do about it). It’s D55 or very close to it (measue it to confirm). If you do not like D55… don’t use it as calibration target. If D55 is an imposition by print lab get a good light source for print to screen comparisions (it wil be used directly for printed copies not as overall studio ambient light), for example YUJI LEDs, or equivalent with good SectralPowerDistribution close to blackbody or daylight SPD at your desired temp.

Sergio Baptista
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

I ran some reports and attached them here. Hope this helps to give you more information.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Profile & display do not match, looks like an user error (display white was modified after calibrating & profiling, maybe its because white drifts with laptop’s brightness).
    Also disable all auto dimming in HW and software, sometimes soft part in intel iGPUs is tricky, google about how to disable soft autodimming.
    Also grey is not very neutral, try medium speed or even slow. That device is not really up to this kind of task.

These are not XPS specific, it’s for almost all laptops.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Looks like adaptive contrast/brightness/WP in laptop. I confirm: check for any adaptive screen color tuning, including eco and sleep modes, uninstall Dell display correction software, if you have one.

Set calibration speed to medium, testchart to auto-optimized. Better to set profile type to XYZLUT+mtx (175…833 patches), black point compensation = on, default intent = relative colorimetric under gear icon, but sometimes single curve produces good result and smoother gradients. I use ColorMunki Design (the same instrument), it works good enough in HiRes mode, no serious differences to i1Pro except of WP shift ~dE=1.7 (right, it is better to use i1Display Pro colorimeter for dark displays, it measures darks better and it is 3-4 times faster). So better to set WP by xy coordinates selection tool (press three circles icon) for your taste, but this should be close to xy of daylight color temperature (when you switch from color temperature to xy, you see its xy values).

And now, test the resulting ICC profile. If white point is significantly away of target values, check for calibration curves upward bend in Profile Info. You have it. – Set white level to some lower value than your test shows (test shows measured white 160cdm, set to 153cdm). Repeat till you get right WP.

Two more notes. Some laptops make total display color change being unplugged. Be carefull with brightness setting, check for RGB relation for different level, it may change.

Sergio Baptista
    Participant

Hi

Thanks so much for your tips.

I managed to get it properly calibrated now (attached the report again). I believe it ok now.

The defaul intent settings changed it all. However, the best results came from doing  417 patches and setting the speed to slow.

I think i will leave it as it is. Let me know if you think diferently.

Thanks so much both of you.

Attachments:

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Corelated color temperarure plot still looks very strange. I think, 3D LUT profile part corrects it. Check for B&W test images in Photoshop. Here are good ones: https://profilirovanie.ru/2089/

Sergio Baptista
    Participant

Yes corelated color temperatura is strange.

Do you think i should test and calibrate with other settings? If yes, which settings do you suggest?

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Have you turned on black point correction in calibration tab? If so, what are the settings? If not, try to set auto, try level 5.0 in your case. Probably it will influence on color temperature at calibration stage. But it also may decrease contrast ratio (white/black in cdm).

Vincent
    Participant

There is some weird issue in some grey, like if something kicked in, Windows night mode by user error? it’s a b* +15 towards yellow.

Sergio Baptista
    Participant

I didn’t turn it on and left if as on the attached screenshot.

I will try with auto and level 5 as you said and check if it improves the calibration.

Attachments:

Sergio Baptista
    Participant

UPdate: only changed black point correction to auto and level 5. The Report is attached but these settings messed up everything again – (previously with auto and level 4  the result was better).

Anything else you might think i could test? Sorry to keep asking but i really want to get this the best possible and learn something.

I really appreciate your attention.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

No simulation profiles. Just validate disply profile. What you validated is uncalibrated display matching Rec2020 and it’s expected to FAIL.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS