Which type of LCD do I have? What correction should I use?

Home Forums Help and Support Which type of LCD do I have? What correction should I use?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MrHugelberg
    Participant

Hello,

I recently got myself a Xiaomi Mi Surface 34″ Monitor and i’m a bit lost what correction I should use for this display. Online I found that for most cases the “Spectral: LCD White LED (AC, LG, Samsung) is the right one, but I also heard when its a “wide gamut” display, I should use Spectra: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED Family. For me it seems like it is a wide gamut display hence I should use PFS Phsophor WLED Family. I just wanted to verfiy if this info is the correct and if its the right setting for my monitor?

colorimeter. (Xrite i1 Pro)

Sorry, if it got asked many times already before. I already googled and found a few threads about that topic, yet I’m still lost ????

Vincent
    Participant

Your link shows WLED PFS, but “LCD PFS Phosphor WLED Family” store several very different dsplays spectral power distribution. Some a AdobeRGB like, some P3 like.
    For typical “only P3” WLED PFS phosphor you can use “Panasonic VXX…” correction which is used in other multimedia VA displays with PFS phosphor backlight.

Vincent
    Participant

With “very different” I meant all of them have “spectral signature” of an WLED PFS with those high narrow spikes in red channel, but the foot of such spikes is different enough to cause very different native red color coordinates.
    For a vanilla “just P3” WLED PFS you have the Panasonic VVX, for vanilla “AdobeRGB + P3” (which does not seem to be your case) you have the HP Z24x. These two have slightly different green.

On a well behaved i1displaypro it may not matter at all which one as long as it is a high res WLED PFS sample like the ones bundled in DisplayCAL, so do not worry.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MrHugelberg
    Participant

Thank you very much for the detailed response Sir. I’m not quite sure if I understand everything you said, but I’ll use  LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 94% P3 (Panasonic VVX17P051J00 in Lenovo P70 ) I assume? That IPS in there kind of confuses me a bit.

And a huge thanks for being awesome and helping random internet people out. I see your name quite often in different topics. It is for sure not for granted.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by MrHugelberg.

MrHugelberg
    Participant

With “very different” I meant all of them have “spectral signature” of an WLED PFS with those high narrow spikes in red channel, but the foot of such spikes is different enough to cause very different native red color coordinates.<br>
    For a vanilla “just P3” WLED PFS you have the Panasonic VVX, for vanilla “AdobeRGB + P3” (which does not seem to be your case) you have the HP Z24x. These two have slightly different green.
    On a well behaved i1displaypro it may not matter at all which one as long as it is a high res WLED PFS sample like the ones bundled in DisplayCAL, so do not worry.

still haven’t found any information on it yet. Even though you said it shouldn’t matter at all, it really interests me

Vincent
    Participant

You may try to rent an spectrophotometer near where you live, even a cheap one from Xrite like an i1Pro or a color munki photo. Just remember to use one of these in high resolution mode, otherwise you won’t see the very narrow spectral signature of some phosphors. Green should be read ok.

Or if you are interested in why those 3 flavors behave in a diffrent way, you can plot spectral power distribution of each one with DisplayCAL (info button next to correction) or ArgyllCMS (specplot) or a Spreadsheet if you copy/import spectral text data.

Haze
    Participant

Hi I’m sorry for bumping this thread. I’m new to displaycal and wondering what this step entails? With an xrite how would it be different in that I could determine which correction to use?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Haze.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi I’m sorry for bumping this thread. I’m new to displaycal and wondering what this step entails? With an xrite how would it be different in that I could determine which correction to use?

No, you need to know which backlight uses your display, then on i1Profiler select it.  Same on Basiccolor or other GPU calibration software.
    DisplayCAL has a BIGGER correction catalog (although some community DB CCSS were measured in a wrong way)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS