Which Correction with DisplayCal should I use?

Home Forums Help and Support Which Correction with DisplayCal should I use?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Tom Madisson
    Participant

I have a HP W2216 that I would like to calibrate. It has a screen with Thin-Film Transistor LCD, active matrix.

I have tried to muddle through for years trying to calibrate this screen so that the whites are white, greys are grey etc like the other two screens attached to the PC but there is always a tinge of yellow or blue.

I have tried a great many settings and I just cannot hit on the right balance.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which Correction should I be using?

Many thanks

Tom

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

You won’t get good result for this old display. You will always see different colors at different parts of its TN panel. Note that color meter looks at color patches in orthogonal direction, but you don’t. It is even impossible to measure color correctly in this case with some meters like i1Display Pro cause their wide lens catch dispersed beam.  Another reason is old age of your display, it has light fall and, probably, significant RGB levels disbalance. Your display is not unique, the technology made a big change over years passed, so simply change it to a good IPS panel, then calibrate it following general DisplayCAL recommendations. Note that colorimeters need proper correction (check the first DisplayCAL tab), while spectrophotometers don’t, but they’re less accurate in deep black, better to use X-Rite tools, better to avoid very old Spyders. You should also check your videocard with tool attached, magenta switch should work. Case “yes” – set full range (0-255) in the first tab, 6500K, gamma=2.2 and speed=medium in the second, type=single curve + mtx or XYZLUT+mtx (more accurate, but has some drawbacks) in the third. Case “no” – you need to set white point through display menu during calibration process first stage, use native gamut setting in the second tab (no gamma value pointed) and XYZLUT+mtx profile type, the third tab.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS