Viewsonic VP2768 – sRGB range in DisplayCal

Home Forums Help and Support Viewsonic VP2768 – sRGB range in DisplayCal

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

lacpsid
    Participant

Hello,

I am using a Viewsonic VP2768 monitor. For calibration I use a ColorMunki Display.

Viewsonics hardware calibration does not work with the Colormunki Display unfortunately because it is not supported. So of course I use DisplayCal. đŸ™‚

The monitor has theoretically a sRGB range of 100% (see picture below). But after calibration DisplayCal shows me only 98% in the best case.

Is that normal? Where does this come from? Are my calibration-settings wrong? Or am I misinterpreting the results?

My calibration-settings:
    As part of the white point adjustment in the calibration process, I had to lower the gain of green in the monitor a bit.
    I use Spectral LCD white as correction.
    White point: as measured
    White luminance: as measured (is 126.43 cd/m2)
    Tone curve: Gamma 2.2
    Speed: Medium

I would be very pleased about feedback!
    Thanks in advance and best regards

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by lacpsid.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by lacpsid.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

S Simeonov
    Participant

You should aim for whitepoint of 6504K.

Vincent
    Participant

Is that normal?

Yes

Where does this come from?

From intersection with display colorspace not covering some tiny parts. Show profile info and you’ll see where (even in 3D).
    Also it will show where display native colorspace is bigger than sRGB, hence those colors that when no color managed is applied (windows desktop, windows wallpaper, games) will show oversaturated and innacurate, buts since its almost equal to sRGB may go unnoticed by your eyes.

coverage = intersection
    volume = overall colorspace size comparision, without caring if they intersect or not.

Regarding color accuracy in color managed apps 98% is unnoticeable.

Regarding color accuracy in non color managed apps 108% volume should look like sRGB. 115, 125% will show oversaturated primaries (usually in red green like those P3 gaming monitors)

Are my calibration-settings wrong? Or am I misinterpreting the results?

My calibration-settings:
    As part of the white point adjustment in the calibration process, I had to lower the gain of green in the monitor a bit.
    I use Spectral LCD white as correction.
    White point: as measured
    White luminance: as measured (is 126.43 cd/m2)
    Tone curve: Gamma 2.2
    Speed: Medium

I would be very pleased about feedback!
    Thanks in advance and best regards

As said by S Simeonov, choose daylight D65 and use display OSD controls( RGB gains) to get desired white.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Vincent.

lacpsid
    Participant

Thank you both very much!

I now tried with whitepoint of 6504K and still reach 98% coverage (picture below). But as you described, this should be ok. And volume now is bigger; 108% instead of 106%.

So I’d better stay with the new 6504k-profile instead of my first one, right?

Thanks and best regards!

Attachments:

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

The 98% readings might be caused by your entry-level colorimeter and/or an insufficient number of color patched used for the measurements.

lacpsid
    Participant

Thank you!

Vincent
    Participant

I now tried with whitepoint of 6504K and still reach 98% coverage (picture below). But as you described, this should be ok. And volume now is bigger; 108% instead of 106%.

Do not show us summary window. It’s mostly useless for the questions you ask.

Instead click on “show profile info” (“Profilinformationen zeigen” ? in your UI translation) checkbox as see by yourself (2D or 3D plot) where intersection is not 100% or see excess in display colorspace over sRGB. You’ll know which sRGB colors are not covered, or which ones will show oversaturated (and how much) in non color managed apps.
    Also you can see how much grayscale was corrected (1DLUT calibration curves: thats the only calibration displaycal or i1profiler can do) and resulting gamma (T.R.C.)

lacpsid
    Participant

Hello,

sorry for my late reply.
    I have now attached the profile information , that looks quite good, right?
    This is not the 6504k profile now, that was noticeably too green. Here now white point as measured.

Brightness of 126 cd/m2 is also okay, or what do you think? I find it pleasant at least.

Thank you and best regards!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by lacpsid.
    Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

That white is bluish (7100K), and has the same green cast in green-magenta axis that a D65 white would have, none (0.38 to daylight curve).
    Maybe you are not using the proper spectral correction, it is a White LED if you use generic bundle, or maybe there is a custom 3nm CCSS in colorimeter database.

lacpsid
    Participant

Hello,

thank you very much!!

Here now the 6504k profile. But it really looks too green.

I use the custom Spectral LCD white correction in DisplayCal. You mean the following site? There is a profile for the VP2768 monitor and ColorMunki (and a newer one for the i1 pro 2): https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get=1&type=ccss&display=*&technology=LCD&html=1

Sould I try that one for the ColorMunki? Whith whitepoint of 6504k?

Thanks and best regards!

Attachments:

lacpsid
    Participant

A little more detail on the correction used:

Mode: LCD (generic)

Correction: Spectral LCD White Family (AC, LG, Samsung)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by lacpsid.

Vincent
    Participant

4 CCSS to try:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=VSC&display=VP2768%20Series&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display%2C%20Spyder4&html=1

What i was saying is that your native white 7100K has a “tint” in green axis almost 0 (0.38 dE to daylight locus), as seen by colorimeter with the correction you chose. You can see it in profile info. D65 coordinates should have the same “tint” as your native white, none (look at your native white profile CIE a*b* graph, qhite is bluish but no green-magenta tint, it’s on the vertical of D65)…. unless that colorimeter correction is not a god match to your display.

Anyway, if colorimeter correction don’t get close to visual white you can use whatever visual approach you want, like you did. Just remember to do not use “absolute colorimetric” when making LUT3D (video players, Resolve, etc) for that calibration or you’ll loose your white and get colorimeter’s D65 white (you say it has a color cast).

Vincent
    Participant

4 CCSS to try:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=VSC&display=VP2768%20Series&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display%2C%20Spyder4&html=1

The one from Colormunki seems broken, so there is only 3 to test. Common White LED, nothing special but you can try if it is a better match than the 3 samples in WLEDFamily_07Feb11 (the one you chose previously).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS