Using DisplayCal with LG 43UD79-B

Home Forums Help and Support Using DisplayCal with LG 43UD79-B

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Frosty
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an LG 43UD79-B for photo editing to complement a Dell U3014 that I’ve been using until now.  With the Dell, I used to use DUCCS with my i1Display Pro.  For the LG, I thought I would try DisplayCal instead, since I’ve heard so much good about it.

I’ve run the calibration process using DisplayCal several times now but the results look awful.  Colors aren’t realistic and don’t look like the DUCCs-calibrated Dell U3014.  I’ve also tried calibrating my Dell 7730 laptop screen with DisplayCal and got similar results.  When I uninstalled DisplayCal and using X-Rite’s i1Profiler instead, the results are comparable to the DUCCS-calibrated U3014.

I must be doing something wrong with DisplayCal, but what?  Any pointers?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an LG 43UD79-B for photo editing to complement a Dell U3014 that I’ve been using until now.  With the Dell, I used to use DUCCS with my i1Display Pro.  For the LG, I thought I would try DisplayCal instead, since I’ve heard so much good about it.

I’ve run the calibration process using DisplayCal several times now but the results look awful.  Colors aren’t realistic and don’t look like the DUCCs-calibrated Dell U3014.  I’ve also tried calibrating my Dell 7730 laptop screen with DisplayCal and got similar results.  When I uninstalled DisplayCal and using X-Rite’s i1Profiler instead, the results are comparable to the DUCCS-calibrated U3014.

I must be doing something wrong with DisplayCal, but what?  Any pointers?

It would be a good idea to post your displaycal settings.

Frosty
    Participant

Sorry, that would have been useful, wouldn’t it?

See attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Sorry, that would have been useful, wouldn’t it?

See attached.

I would select white level “as measured”, and calibration speed to “medium”. Also for tone curve “2.2 gamma”, unless you want that srgb tone curve for a reason.

Frosty
    Participant

I’ll try that.  Does that calibration speed affect the quality of the calibration?

I was just assuming that I want sRGB since that’s the color space I’m working in in Lightroom, but I’ll specify that tone curve and compare results.

Thank you.

Frosty
    Participant

Okay, I ran DisplayCal twice using my settings first, and then selecting “as measured” white level and “medium” calibration speed.  The results from both calibration runs were similar and are much better than my first attempts with DisplayCal.  I’m not sure why, but I think the results are very workable now.

Thank you for your help with this!

S Simeonov
    Participant

Okay, I ran DisplayCal twice using my settings first, and then selecting “as measured” white level and “medium” calibration speed.  The results from both calibration runs were similar and are much better than my first attempts with DisplayCal.  I’m not sure why, but I think the results are very workable now.

Thank you for your help with this!

Always a pleasure 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

I’ll try that.  Does that calibration speed affect the quality of the calibration?

calibration speed = number of patches / iteration used to make grey nautral and at your desired gamma.

Displays with severe green or pink or blue tints in a non color managed grey gradient black to white will need more patches.
    12 / 24 / 48 / 96 in an iterative process. I don’t remember exact number but i1Profiler should be something like 20+ per uncalibrated color ramp for calibration stage.

I was just assuming that I want sRGB since that’s the color space I’m working in in Lightroom, but I’ll specify that tone curve and compare results.

Calibration TRC is about non color managed TRC. When you open a color managed app, its color management engine will “undo” it to match image colorspace. For example I can have a widegamut with 2.2 gamma and as long as my profile matches my display (profile says that my display is 2.2  too) I can open an eciRGB v2 image (L* TRC) and see it as intended.

Unless you need some specific TRC for non color managed apps like gamam 2.4 for video in a sRGB/Rec709-like display, usually you want something close to what is expected from a computer monitor like g2.2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS