Trying to understand verification

Home Forums Help and Support Trying to understand verification

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

swordinhand
    Participant

The verification page has me a little confused. Would love to clarify the settings. I’ve read the manual a few times and still find it slightly confusing.

1. If I run the measurement report without a simulation profile with the standard Verification Testchart am I merely testing the profile I have loaded in my settings vs the currently loaded profile in the apple display settings? In other words, this would be to test how close you are to the original profile or how much you may have drifted…?
    2. If I use the same Verification Testchart and run it with a simulation profile, say sRGB, leaving “Use simulation profile as display profile” unchecked, and the tone curve unmodified, does this show me how closely the profile from the settings menu is to the simulation (sRGB, in this case)?
    3. If I use the same Verification Testchart and run it with a simulation profile, sRGB and check “Use simulation profile as display profile”, does this disable the loaded profile and instead load a standard sRGB profile with which to tell me how close my monitor is to that absolute standard? In other words, if I have a monitor that is internally calibrated to sRGB, then using the simulation profile as a display profile, the results will be all in the recommended ranges…? Or if I didn’t internally calibrate, but instead use an sRGB LUT through the monitor, the results would be the same?

Thanks for any and all comments!

Vincent
    Participant

The verification page has me a little confused. Would love to clarify the settings. I’ve read the manual a few times and still find it slightly confusing.

1. If I run the measurement report without a simulation profile with the standard Verification Testchart am I merely testing the profile I have loaded in my settings vs the currently loaded profile in the apple display settings? In other words, this would be to test how close you are to the original profile or how much you may have drifted…?

Testing display behavior with GPU calibration applied against default profile loaded in OS (unless you explicitly change it in settings combo, set “Current” to validate against default display profile in OS

1. If I use the same Verification Testchart and run it with a simulation profile, say sRGB, leaving “Use simulation profile as display profile” unchecked, and the tone curve unmodified, does this show me how closely the profile from the settings menu is to the simulation (sRGB, in this case)?

Testing how good it will be rendering images in that simulation profile in Photoshop or GIMP.
    Usually if  test 1 is OK and your display covers all simulation profile colrospace test 2 will be good too. For example sRGB in a new Imac. If test 1 is OK on a widegamut display and test 2 is very off on small colorspaces like srGB usually there is some misconfiguration on user side, not a calibration/profile problem.

1. If I use the same Verification Testchart and run it with a simulation profile, sRGB and check “Use simulation profile as display profile”, does this disable the loaded profile and instead load a standard sRGB profile with which to tell me how close my monitor is to that absolute standard? In other words, if I have a monitor that is internally calibrated to sRGB, then using the simulation profile as a display profile, the results will be all in the recommended ranges…? Or if I didn’t internally calibrate, but instead use an sRGB LUT through the monitor, the results would be the same?

Testing how display behaves without GPU calibration or color management against that simulation profile.
    Useful for some video apps without not color management (mostly windows) or games or to validate factory calibrations, or to validate HW calibrations against the calibration target you chose.

swordinhand
    Participant

Testing display behavior with GPU calibration applied against default profile loaded in OS (unless you explicitly change it in settings combo, set “Current” to validate against default display profile in OS

when you talk about default profile in OS, is this the one that came preinstalled on the OS (Mac display, iMac display, etc.) or is this the one I choose in display profile settings?

Based on what you’re saying, it sounds like like when I profile and calibrate the display with say a curve + matrix profile and install it. If I select ‘current’ my currently installed profile will be measured against the stock or default Mac OS profile and this will tell me if I have a good calibration…?

I definitely understand the answer to my third question, but 2 and 3 are still a bit confusing to me. Thanks again for all of your help!

Vincent
    Participant

I mean current default display profile, the one that is selected as actual profile on OS settings.

swordinhand
    Participant

I see that makes sense. Thanks

lineweight
    Participant

I’m confused about this too.

(I am on Macos)

I don’t have “simulation profile” ticked.

Initially I had understood that when I run the “measurement report” under “verification”, what I am doing is testing the output of my monitor, with the colour profile that I’ve currently got applied under the macos “display settings”.

That is, I am testing to see how close the output is, to what it’s supposed to be, at least as far as my colorimeter can see (and I realise my colorimeter will not be fully accurate).

But is what I’ve got chosen in “settings” relevant? Am I actually testing the profile that I’ve got chosen in there?

If I change that to “current” (which might imply I’m measuring the colour profile currently loaded in the macos display settings) then the “measurement report” button is greyed out and I can’t produce a report.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS