Trouble matching Eizo CG247X and LG B6 55"

Home Forums Help and Support Trouble matching Eizo CG247X and LG B6 55"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Harry Kemp
    Participant

Hey guys!

I’ve been using DisplayCal for the last few years and love it. But i’m running into a few issues trying to match the Eizo CG247X and the LG B6 55″ OLED in our Davinci Resolve color suite.

The Eizo is running from a BM Decklink Studio 4K via HDMI-out and the LG is running from the Decklink Studio 4K’s SDI-out through a BM Teranex Mini which converts the SDI to HDMI and also acts as a LUT box. Works fine with a slight delay on the LG but nothing major (doesn’t affect the calibration.)

So, I firstly calibrated the Eizo through DisplayCal using it’s internal colormeter, did a verification for that calibration using DisplayCal + our x-rite iDisplayPro (retail) and got acceptable results, then profiled it again using DisplayCal and the iDisplayPro + color-meter corrections for the CG247X on this website, created a 3D LUT in .3dl format and uploaded to the Eizo using the ColorNavigatorNX software. After verification I got almost the exact same results to those with the verified internal color-meter – also acceptable for my usage. To both my eye and that of my coworkers (I know this means nothing, but it is still an important factor to many nonetheless), this display looks correctly calibrated and the DisplayCal verification report confirms this.

Now, I then proceeded to begin profiling the LG B6 with the same method, now using spectral LED OLED color-meter corrections (there are no display-specific corrections on the DisplayCal website unfortunately). I had to change the RGB values as well as the OLED backlight levels during the interactive display adjustment step, but after a few tweaks the levels were within the acceptable range and I moved on to the profiling.

Once profiling was complete I generated a 3D LUT which I then imported into the Teranex Mini. With the LUT applied, the display looked slightly green-tinted (incorrectly so) when compared with the previously calibrated Eizo. I then decided that something must have went wrong along the way, so profiled the display again. During the interactive display adjustment step, the RGB values were now completely different to how they were after completing this step when profiling previously. (yes, the LUT I had applied through the Teranex Mini was disabled). I proceeded to adjust the RGB levels of the display to within the values on-screen then profiled the display.

Following the profiling, I uploaded the generated .cube 3D LUT into the Teranex Mini and the result was now slightly red-tinted, especially when compared to the Eizo.

Does anyone see anything I could have overlooked in the above process? Could the differences in the colors between the two display be due to the different display technology used in each display?

Another thing is the age of the iDisplayPro – the facility I work for can’t say exactly how old it is, but we estimate it was purchased in 2011/12. It has been stored in a dark, cool place when not used and has never been bumped or dropped, but I fear it may be past it’s used-by date…can someone comment on this?

And lastly, it has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the B6 has a painful ASBL (auto static brightness limited – pretty much dimming that occurs when a static image is displayed for a long period of time) which is definitely an annoyance, but I think due to the on-screen patches changing at 1-2 second intervals this is not going to affect the calibration.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Harry.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Could the differences in the colors between the two display be due to the different display technology used in each display?

Yes, you’re probably running into issues with metameric failure. A way around this is to match the OLED’s white point to the white of the Eizo using a visual approach, ie. adjust the OLED white until it looks the same. Then, set rendering intent on the 3D LUT tab to “relative colorimetric” and profile normally.

And lastly, it has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the B6 has a painful ASBL […]

Enabling white level drift compensation as well as making the measurement area as small as possible may help with this.

Pepillow
    Participant

So, I firstly calibrated the Eizo through DisplayCal using it’s internal colormeter…

Hey Harry,

How can you do that ? Can DisplayCal recognize the internal colormeter that comes with the monitor ? If it does and after reading your post and seeing the results would be no necessary to buy (at least for now) the external i1d3 since the results are much identical, right ?

Thanks.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS