Tips on matching two different manufactured monitors

Home Forums General Discussion Tips on matching two different manufactured monitors

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JoeASE
    Participant

So to start off I have found a few threads already that gives some advice on how to match the screens but I still feel like I am missing something, that and/or I am still learning the color calibration process and I do not know what I am doing. I have the i1 display pro colorimeter using the DisplayCAL software, which is much better than what xrite provides. I am only trying to match for viewing purposes, not print or photography.

One monitor is an Accuview LED Backlit- LCD panel the other is an AU Optronics CCFL Backlit-LCD Panel. I have attached documentation for both.

Since one monitor can produce 16.2m colors and the other 262k, along with 400 cd/m2 vs 150 cd/m2 in brightness, and different back-lighting; I have already come to the conclusion that matching these two to near identical is not possible. Am I correct in this? The good thing though is I do not need them to be exactly perfect but hoping to get them as close as possible.

To get an idea of what I have done so far: I have gone through the process of measuring and attempting to match both the black and white point output levels between the two screens (turning the Interactive display adjustment on and off). I have been running the calibration speed on both Medium and High. I have used the LCD CCFL family correction profile on the AU Optronics CCFL monitor only and auto(none) on the Accuview LED backlit. I have been using the default settings in the profiling settings. I have done all and a number of combinations of changing the settings throughout the calibration process along with the basic 4 patch Testchart.

Given the specificities of the monitors and the path I have been on, am I on track or am I missing something?
    Is it possible for someone to be able to walk through the steps, or some other resources I can look at to help me match these monitors?

Thanks for reading.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

You can expect a reasonable match but limited to these conditions:

-you have a device to measure them accurately (including the necessary corrections for each dsplay type if they are colorimeters)
    -limited to color managed apps
    -limited to bitdepth precision between color steps that the combination of your gpu+display+color management engine can offer (dithering helps here)
    -limited to colors that fall into the intersection of your 2 displays colorspace

Take a look at the last one. If you do not own right now a measurement device you may “try” to figure that intersenction creating ICM profiles form EDID data (1st menu option). ArgyllCMS & DisplayCAL have tools to render those profiles colorspace in 2D and 3D.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS