Test uncalibrated monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Test uncalibrated monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Gregow
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve just got a new monitor and would like to do some tests to see how it performs ‘out of the box’.

Is there a good way to do this with DisplayCAL?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

you can test the monitor against several standards on the “Verification” tab by selecting and enabling a simulation profile and enabling “use simulation profile as target profile” as well. I.e. to check against sRGB, choose the “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” profile.

Gregow
    Participant

Ah, perfect – thank you! 🙂

adam gilmour
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry for the thread revival, rather than starting a new one I thought I’d ask on here.

Is there a way to find out the percentage of the AdobeRGB and sRGB standards that the monitor covers in the measurement report?

Just curious about the color space it offers pre-calibration.

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Just do a profile run with a reduced amount of patches (i.e. set the testchart patches slider to the 2nd position from the left = 271 patches). After the profile is created, you can see the gamut coverage percentages. You also may want to skip calibration for this run (on the calibration tab, disable interactive adjustment and set tone curve to “As measured”).

adam gilmour
    Participant

Thanks Florian 🙂 Exactly what I was looking for.

I’ve calibrated my laptop using Displaycal, which looks great but I’m still a bit unsure whether I’m using the correct instrument mode or correction mode for the display type.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire v Nitro vn7-791g which uses the following display panel – http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPF1_LG%20Display_17.3_LCM_overview_21056.html

Any recommendations?

Thanks

WolfPeace
    Participant

The information in the link states it has WLED backlight, so that should be your choice for colorimeter correction.

adam gilmour
    Participant

Ah thanks 😉 I’ve checked the settings  and there’s a ‘LCD (White LED)’ option under Instrument Mode and ‘Spectral: LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC  LG SAMSUNG) ‘ option under correction but it’ll only let me select one or the other as they seem to be linked/overwrite each other, which one do you recommend choosing to get the best calibration result?

Thanks

WolfPeace
    Participant

Oh I see now what is confusing you. I have a i1 display 3, and it lets me select Instrument Mode: LCD(Generic) and the WLED correction. I am assuming you have other instrument.

Which instrument you have?

adam gilmour
    Participant

I have a Spyder5 from Datacolor.  If I select ‘Spectral: LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG SAMSUNG)‘ under correction it also changes the instrument mode to ‘LCD (generic)’. Do you think these settings will produce the most accurate calibrated profile for the display?

Also if I follow the steps above and then change the instrument mode back to the ‘LCD (White LED)’ the correction then defaults to ‘none’ leaving me wondering which will give the best results.

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For the Spyder5 I would use the respective measurement mode because that’s coming from the instrument firmware. The spectral corrections can be used as well, but they are tailored to the i1 Display Pro/ColorMunki Display, so may not produce the same result.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

Maybe this answers your question https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/which-settings/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by MW.

adam gilmour
    Participant

I’ll run another calibration with these settings. Thanks guys 🙂

Eric
    Participant

Hello Florian,

I have a NEC PA271W calibrated to emulate sRGB (6504K, 80cd/m2, Gamma 2.2, Native contrast) using Spectraview software. My intention is to get the delta E’s, contrast ratio, and sRGB coverage.

In “relevance” to this thread, I would like to treat this calibration as “out-of-the-box”, but I’m not sure how to proceed since Spectraview also creates an ICC profile and installs it to Windows Color Management. Checking the profile using DisplayCAL’s Profile Info program, at least the tone curves are linear, but I don’t know what else is in the ICC profile which might get ignored once I do the profiling to get the sRGB coverage.

Essentially, my questions are:

1. Does DisplayCAL strip away the currently installed ICC profile before starting the profiling process? If so, does that mean there is no way I can get the sRGB coverage of “Spectraview-calibrated NEC PA271W + ICC profile”? But DisplayCAL does seem to detect the ICC profile because it asks whether to “use linear tone curve and embed tone curve in profile”. I tried this anyway and checked both boxes, but profiling results to only a 96.3% sRGB coverage – which is disappointing because one would expect it to be 100% or very close to it.
    2. When I ran a verification against sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (use simulation profile as target profile checked, unmodified tone curve checked), I am able to get excellent results (mostly green double check marks). Is there a way to compare the Spectraview-generated ICC profile against sRGB IEC61966-2.1? Because if they are identical, then the 96.3% sRGB result is (disappointingly) correct.

Thank you

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Eric.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does DisplayCAL strip away the currently installed ICC profile before starting the profiling process?

Any currently active calibration is disabled during calibration and profiling.

If so, does that mean there is no way I can get the sRGB coverage of “Spectraview-calibrated NEC PA271W + ICC profile”?

If the monitor is hardware-calibrated to sRGB via internal 3D LUT, then SpectraView should install an sRGB profile, so sRGB coverage of that profile would of course be 100% when going purely by numbers.

profiling results to only a 96.3% sRGB coverage – which is disappointing because one would expect it to be 100% or very close to it.

If the monitor gamut is already reduced via internal calibration, this sets the limit for the coverage – to get the native sRGB coverage, profile the monitor in widest gamut (native) mode.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS