Strange color gamut

Home Forums Help and Support Strange color gamut

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hi Florian

I have attached an image of a gamut view  of my latest calibration\profile and it appears strange to me… It was done on an HDTV with a wide color gamut (supposedly 94% 0f the DCI-P3 colorspace) … But I’ve never seen a gamut outline like this before. Seems very irregular and all over the place. Not what I’d expect from a tv of this caliber.

Is this normal? Or do you think that it might have been caused by my adjusting the CMS controls? – (Which were calibrated with Calman to a very low DE).

Do I need to calibrate\profile differently with DisplayCal with a wider color gamut display..ie, do I need to set the gamut to something other than sRGB colorspace? … But I don’t see a choice for DCI-P3 in your drop-downs if this is the case.

The verification report looks pretty good when I do things the default way…But I have a suspicion that I’m doing something wrong here.

What do you think? … Thanks.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Steve Smith.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Steve Smith.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have attached an image of a gamut view of my latest calibration\profile and it appears strange to me… It was done on an HDTV with a wide color gamut (supposedly 94% 0f the DCI-P3 colorspace)

This looks like the TV was profiled in a Rec. 709 gamut emulation mode.

do you think that it might have been caused by my adjusting the CMS controls? – (Which were calibrated with Calman to a very low DE).

What was the target in CalMAN? DCI-P3? Looks like Rec. 709, which would explain why the gamut is about the same.

Do I need to calibrate\profile differently with DisplayCal with a wider color gamut display..ie, do I need to set the gamut to something other than sRGB colorspace?

That’s a choice you potentially make in the setup of the TV, not DisplayCAL (unless you create a 3D LUT or are creating perceptual/saturation table for a specific source profile CIECAM02 gamut mapping). It is usually a good idea to use the native TV gamut in any case.

Steve Smith
    Participant

I did calibrate using REC709 in Calman because I didn’t see an option for DCI-P3… Do you know if DCI-P3 can be labeled under a different name? (Maybe REC BT 2020 HD, or SD)

What should I use?

Also, if I choose ‘Native’ on the TV’s colorspace control, then I loose the 10 point grayscale and CMS adjustments ability.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you know if DCI-P3 can be labeled under a different name?

SMPTE 431-2 is the name of the official standard.

Also, if I choose ‘Native’ on the TV’s colorspace control, then I loose the 10 point grayscale and CMS adjustments ability.

If you’re creating a 3D LUT that doesn’t really matter though.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Is ‘D65, SMPTE C’ equal to DCI-P3?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is ‘D65, SMPTE C’ equal to DCI-P3?

Not even close. That’s the NTSC SD color standard.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Wow Florian, were you ever right!! … I calibrated my Samsung HDTV set to ‘Native’ for the colorspace and turned off the CMS and 10 point white balance controls… I used DisplayCAL  to set the ‘RGB high’ and presto! Fantastic calibration! Unbelievable natural and dynamically expansive color palette. 🙂

Please tell all your Samsung users that ‘Native’ is the way to go for sure! … No question. What a beautiful picture! (Very important to get brightness and contrast right first. 45 and 95 respectively on every Samsung I’ve ever owned. I suppose that’s why these numbers are the defaults! Lol.)

As usual, the simplest answer if often the correct one.  Just let DisplayCAL do all the work.

Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS