sRGB coverage on IPS panel

Home Forums Help and Support sRGB coverage on IPS panel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Orfkar
    Participant

Hey Florian,

I’m not sure if this is a stupid question, because maybe PEBKAC 🙂

I’m trying to calibrate a monitor to gamma 2.2 using a ColorMunki Display. The monitor is an LG 27MP68HM-P which has an sRGB coverage of “more than 99%” according to the specs. I’m also using the “LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung)” correction.

The problem is that after several attempts, it always shows me a gamut coverage of 90 – 91% sRGB, consistently.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

The monitor is an LG 27MP68HM-P which has an sRGB coverage of “more than 99%” according to the specs.

Always take the manufacturer claims with a big grain of salt – they seem to usually determine gamut coverage in 2D (CIE xy), which is not very accurate due to gamuts being 3D volumes and CIE xy being a highly perceptually non-uniform space, and sometimes the claims are simply over-exaggerated.

The problem is that after several attempts, it always shows me a gamut coverage of 90 – 91% sRGB, consistently.

What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing – Argyll/DisplayCAL calculate gamut coverage in L*a*b*, which is a more accurate way to go about it. The result you’re getting is consistent with what the LG 27MP77HM-P, the 27MP68HM-P’s predecessor with very similar or even same panel, achieved in a review on prad.de (german site).

Orfkar
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

I guess I’ll then continue to calibrate the same way. 🙂

The only issue I have right now is that the last time I calibrated the display, the color was a lot worse than the default (at least perceptually).

I attached three image files which correspond to the “Display & Instrument”, “Calibration” and “Profiling” tabs’ options I’m using.
    Could you take a quick look at them and tell me if there’s any option I should choose differently to this display?

Thanks for all the assistance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The only issue I have right now is that the last time I calibrated the display, the color was a lot worse than the default (at least perceptually).

Sounds a bit round-about. You’d need to describe what you perceive as an issue in more detail. Also note that the profile does have no effect on the colors unless you’re using color managed application (e.g. Photoshop), only the tone curve and gray balance are adjusted globally via the calibration.

Could you take a quick look at them and tell me if there’s any option I should choose differently to this display?

Seems all fine, although you could probably use less profiling patches and save some measurement time (e.g. my recommendation would be to not go much higher than around 1000 for computer monitors as they usually have good additive properties and are fairly linear).

Orfkar
    Participant

Sounds a bit round-about. You’d need to describe what you perceive as an issue in more detail. Also note that the profile does have no effect on the colors unless you’re using color managed application (e.g. Photoshop), only the tone curve and gray balance are adjusted globally via the calibration.

You’re right, sorry, I was talking about the whites being a lot less white not the colors per se.
    It just seems more washed out.

Seems all fine, although you could probably use less profiling patches and save some measurement time (e.g. my recommendation would be to not go much higher than around 1000 for computer monitors as they usually have good additive properties and are fairly linear).

Thank you very much, will use less patches from now on.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You’re right, sorry, I was talking about the whites being a lot less white not the colors per se.
    It just seems more washed out.

White shouldn’t be affected as you’re using “As measured” whitepoint and white level (make sure you have disabled any dynamic contrast/dimming features on the monitor as those will interfere with correct measurements). The monitor probably over-saturates green and red in uncalibrated state (going by the LG 27MP77HM-P results), which may make color corrected images look somewhat less saturated in comparison (or rather, the uncorrected monitor shows slightly oversaturated colors).

Orfkar
    Participant

White shouldn’t be affected as you’re using “As measured” whitepoint and white level (make sure you have disabled any dynamic contrast/dimming features on the monitor as those will interfere with correct measurements). The monitor probably over-saturates green and red in uncalibrated state (going by the LG 27MP77HM-P results), which may make color corrected images look somewhat less saturated in comparison (or rather, the uncorrected monitor shows slightly oversaturated colors).

You’re probably right, I’ll try again and report back.
    Could too much brightness interfere with the calibration and cause those results?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS