SpyderX Pro calibration causing massive green tinting

Home Forums Help and Support SpyderX Pro calibration causing massive green tinting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Alf–
    Participant

Trying to recalibrate my monitor my SpyderX Pro and LG Ultragear 27GN800-B are giving me very green results when calibrating. I can tell even from the whitepoint adjustment before the calibration that it tells me the optimal position for the whitepoint is to reduce my blues and reds to the point everything looks like the matrix. I have tried all sorts of things notably tryng the different display types (generic, LED etc), I’ve also tried a custom correction I found for the spyderX and LG ultragear and that also didnt work. I’ve tried the automatic adjustments, the manual whitepoint ajusters (daylight and blackbody)

I am just trying to get a gamma 2.4 correction so i can use it for accurate 3D renders and video editing in Rec.709, im also planning to start using ACES for my renders (is there anything i need to calibrate differently for that?). I will be honest I can get a bit lost with all the terminology, but I can clearly tell that somthing is not right when trying to calibrate this now.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Maybe you are not using RGB “gain” controls but another set of RGB controls like saturation.

If you are actually using the proper RGB gain OSD controls and LG controls are 0-100 range with 50 value default “flavor” of OSD controls, try to do not rise it too much above 50. 0-100 range with 100 default “flavor” gives users less trouble since it’s difficult to cause channel cliping that way.

If controsl are behaving properly maybe you spyder is broken or useless, try to get an Xrite i1d3 like most people do.
    SpyderX bundled corrections are locked into device, so they won’t work for other displays different than the uses used in factory, or if using user made corrections they will be valid only for the spyder and the display thar were used ti compute such corrections, THEIR devices, not yours even if they are teh same model.

That’s the reason to do not buy Spyders no matter which model. There is ONLY one consumer/semipro colorimeter, the xrite i1d3 (in their different flavors), to be used standalone or with a spectrophotometer for corrections. The next step up would be a Klein colorimeter. There is no step bellow an i1d3.

Alf–
    Participant

Okay, thank you for the information. My display does have seperate gain and what they call six color (which is the individual saturations etc) and i made sure i was using the correct one.

The defaults were indeed 50 on the RGB controls, and with all of them at 50 and the brightness set to the correct luminance, displaycal was showing the green and reds to the left of the middle point, and the blue was wayyy too far to the right of the middle. Then when i tried to correct for this and get them all centered in displaycal thats when I get the extreme tint, as i have to reduce the red values and blue values.

The odd thing is when i finish the calibration (it looks really bad) so i tried the verification. The verification showed there was good luminance, green across the board. But the colors were all red and had issues warnings showing that the calibration was way off, even though displaycal had said it was good during the calibration. It also shows a target whitepoint of 7900k even though i manually put in 6500k, i’ve attached the html here anyways in case you can get anoy more data from it than me.

As for your suggestion of the i1d3, is it much more expensive than the Spyder? because i am a student and dont have much spare cash 🙁 . I’m assuming i can get a replacement or refund for the spyder as it should still be under warranty, but anything over ÂŁ200/$250 would be out of my range.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

The verification is wrong because user’s fault, you are testing how monitor, without GPU grey calibration (monitor + OSD settings, nothing mor) , validates against sRGB
    *DO NOT USE simulate profile unless you know how to use it*. Profile validation should be done with all options disabled in validation tab, just choose your desired test chart and let it run.
    Simulating profile if for other purposes like checking HW cal or software LUT3D cal (use simulate as display profile ON) or testing colormanaged performance under certain content colorspace (same but OFF)

(but this test, like yiou did, show that OSD whitepoint is not even close to D65… maybe you changed OSD preset to another one, “user/Custom” OSD modes are the only ones when custom RGB gain applies as a “general rule” for all monitors)

Regarding display… maybe it is not a very good display, not because of panel + backlight but because those stupid OSD settings 0-100 with default 50.
    Anyway, try a daylight white closer to native white: a bit bluer but white.
    -reset all to defaults
    -adjust brightness
    -set target whitepoint to 7000 daylight (7000k CCT AND close to daylight curve of whites)
    -try to fit that WP on OSD RGB  gain
    -once calibrated & profiled, validate profile as instructed, all validation options off, just choose the testchart you want.

Another option with bad behaved OSD is to do full white point correction in GPU grey calibration, like laptops, loosing a bit of contrast and unique grey levels.
    THis is done by reseting RGB Gains to native, set target WP in DIsplayCAL to 6500K daylight or 7000K daylight or whatever you want, then “DO NOTHING” on OSD, and let Displaycal limit or or two channel max output un GPU to fix whitepoint.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Alf–
    Participant

Thanks again for the reply, I think i understand what you mean but I clearly need to do more research on this.

Is there a good guide I can view that talks about all the correct procedures to do and what each setting does in DisplayCal? A lot of the ones i’ve seen are complicated and dont explain topics.

Vincent
    Participant

Is there a good guide I can view that talks about all the correct procedures to do and what each setting does in DisplayCal? A lot of the ones i’ve seen are complicated and dont explain topics.

IDNK. I’ll stick to defaults and in profile tab choose a “single curve matrix profile” with  “back point compensation”. You may want to lower calibration speed (show advanced options) to medium or slow if grey color shows ugly tints. I won’t use fast.
    Also if display LED backlight is more or less supported by bundled corrections inside your spyderx (White LED sRGB, WLED PFS) I would avoid using somebody’s CCMX corrections since it is very likely that won’t fit your device.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS