Spyderx Banding

Home Forums Help and Support Spyderx Banding

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gethin Coles
    Participant

After having some profile weirdness in lightroom,  I recalibrated my display with the spyder software. In photoshop a 16 bit grey gradient had obvious banding some more green, some more magenta.
    Switching off colour management and the bands were neutral and (i Presume) as you’d expect for a 16 bit image.

I calibrated in displaycal and the banding is much better – but there are still gross areas of more green and more magenta and a few bands that look too dark or light.

I’m not sure whether a certain amount of banding is to be expected? or Should i see a result that looks as neutral as with no colour mangement?

Display is asus  pa32q I set mode to LCD PFS phosphor WLED, RGB LED
    and everything is set at default, and all dynamic doodads on the monitor are off.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Gethin Coles.

Vincent
    Participant

It can be caused by calibration (1) or because color management with limited precision (2).

2nd one
    Profile type = SINGLE CURVE + matrix (+ BPC optional, usually active it by default)
    If your Asus is so bad behaved that cannot be described by a matrix profile, use DWMLUT to linearize (LUT3D from idealized matrix to custom XYZLUT profile, idealized matrix profile as OS default profile)

1st one
    Get an AMD card, use dithering registry trick on nvidia, or use DWMLUT to linearize (any card)
    and apply 2nd solution too, together.

Check DWMLUT thread or its web (https://github.com/ledoge/dwm_lut) for further info

EDIT: SpyderX own innacuracies + its limited colorimeter correction support  innacuracies result in wrong white point or inacurate near black levels, should not cause type 1 or 2 banding. (This does not look like a colorimeter’s fault, although it’s innacurate and not future proof)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Gethin Coles
    Participant

2nd one
    Profile type = SINGLE CURVE + matrix (+ BPC optional, usually active it by default)

thanks for your reply!

Re-did calibration with suggested settings. Results seem about the same, maybe slightly better.  Although by eye I feel like the overall colour isn’t as neutral
    Are there any other profile settings I could try?

I also have a greatgmacbeth i1, but calibration failed with error – not enough light. I think it might be toast

Vincent
    Participant

If single curve profile causes “color” banding then the culprit is calibration (your GPU). Apply solution as instructed above: Get an AMD card, use dithering registry trick on nvidia, or use DWMLUT to linearize (any card)

S Simeonov
    Participant

Which dithering method on nvidia gives the best result?

Vincent
    Participant

IDNK, I do not own nvidia. DWMLUT is safe even in iGPUs (at least for Photo apps, i’m not talking about colorspace simulation for games).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS