SmallHD 702 Calibration

Home Forums Help and Support SmallHD 702 Calibration

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Timothy Richardson
    Participant

Hello,

I have a SmallHD 702 and I have found that the factory calibration LUT slightly off. It’s giving more green than it should.

I’ve tried using DisplayCAL to create a 3DLUT for calibration but haven’t found much success, I’m probably doing this wrong.
    And I’m not sure how to verify if the LUT is correct or not (via the “Verification” tab)

I’m using an i1Display Pro for measurement.

Here’s what I have done:

First I disable the calibration LUT on my SmallHD before I begin creating the 3D LUT.

Under the “3D LUT” tab I created a file using these settings:
    Source colorspace: Rec709 ITU0R BT.709
    Tone curve: Rec. 1886
    Gamma: 2.4 Absolute
    Black output offset: 0%
    Gamut Mapping mode: Inver device-to-PCS
    Rendering intent: Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling
    3D LUT file format: IRIDAS (.cube)
    Input encoding: Full range RGB 0-255
    Output Encoding: Full range RGB 0-255
    3D LUT size: 32x32x32

I end up with a 3D LUT which I then import into my SmallHD via SD card but the LUT doesn’t look right, I feel like I’m doing something wrong here.

Also, when starting a calibration DisplayCal will open a “Whitepoint / White level” window.
    I can’t change the RGB values on my SmallHD 702 if I disable the existing calibration. Do I have to create a dummy calibration LUT to bypass this or is there another solution?

I’ve tried creating a LUT with the original calibration LUT disabled AND enabled, but both yield poor results.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

And I’m not sure how to verify if the LUT is correct or not (via the “Verification” tab)

After creating it, the verification tab should be filled correctly already (basically, check that “Simulation profile” and tone curve matches the 3D LUT settings, as well as “Use simulation profile as target” needs to be enabled).

Also, when starting a calibration DisplayCal will open a “Whitepoint / White level” window.

If the SmallHD doesn’t have/allow white point control (RGB gains), you can just skip this step.

I end up with a 3D LUT which I then import into my SmallHD via SD card but the LUT doesn’t look right

Run a verification and see what that gives you.

Timothy Richardson
    Participant

So I restarted the whole process and created a new profile. While taking measurements, the calibration LUT has been disabled on my SmallHD 702.

I then created a 3D LUT and loaded into my SmallHD.

After following the measurement process, checking that “Simulation profile” and tone curve matches the 3D LUT settings, as well as “Use simulation profile as target”… The calibration seems to be way off.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please attach the measurement report. Does the SmallHD do some sort of automatic dimming/contrast/brightness limiting or other dynamic picture function? This will make calibration hard or impossible. It may help to turn on white level drift compensation if dynamic picture functions cannot be turned off.

Timothy Richardson
    Participant

Sorry for the delayed response, been too busy to have a look at re-calibrating.

Took a look at my SmallHD and I realise that it might be the SmallHD software at fault here. The disable/enable button for calibration LUT, is also linked to activating the R,G,B levels + black levels + white. I cannot verify whether or not the default settings of RGB,W+B are not affecting the LUT I generate.

So if I’m creating a 3D lut for my monitor, since it wont be connected to my computer, is there a way to have the LUT contain the profiling+calibration information together? so i can use it non-tethered.

Plus, I checked the specs on the monitor and the manufacturers specs say its only 70% Rec 709, so 🙁 …

I’ve attached the report anyways and maybe you can help see if I’m doing something wrong. The first one is a verification report without the calibration lut on my monitor. The second is with the 3d LUT applied on the monitor.

Any help here will help. I’ve been messing around with this for a while.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I checked the specs on the monitor and the manufacturers specs say its only 70% Rec 709

That’s awful. No wonder you’re not getting good results in terms of Rec. 709.

I’ve attached the report anyways and maybe you can help see if I’m doing something wrong.

The reports are identical (same file under different name). In and of itself, the device response looks fine, but the abysmal (non)coverage of Rec. 709 is a problem.

alexrobinsondop
    Participant

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I just tried to perform this same calibration but definitely didn’t have the expected output!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The small gamut is a hardware limitation. There’s no way around it.

thereshold4001
    Participant

SmallHD702 possesses rec709 96%.
    (There seems to be a lot of ill-balance and something terrible is 90%.)
    I measured smallHD702 in LightspaceCMS.
    When I’d like to apply made Lut to smallHD in the state to which
    RGB was adjusted, work is needed in the following.

Before doing calibration, default lut is erased and null lut is applied.

Default Lut by a manufacturer is applied to SmallHD in the RGB adjustment state.
    When calibration lut is made and it’s applied to smallHD, default lut is erased, and or
    calibration lut is applied.
    When calibration lut and default lut aren’t applied at the same time, it won’t be in the state by which calibration was done.
    You have to combine default lut and calibration lut and apply it to smallHD.
    But it isn’t possible to pick default Lut out from smallHD.
    Before doing calibration, so null Lut is applied instead of default lut.
    Even if calibration Lut made in the RGB adjustment state is applied when doing that, the right state can be kept.
    Null Lut is Lut which changes nothing.
    When searching a net for whether it’s made with itself, it would be found.

Timothy Richardson
    Participant

Hi again,

It’s been over 5 years, and I’m still using my SmallHD 702 ‘s…
    Now with the release of OS4 for SmallHD they’ve finally come out with a guide on how to calibrate SmallHD monitors with Display Cal. Here’s the link for those of you still trying to calibrate your SmallHD Monitors:

https://guide.smallhd.com/a/1433761-how-to-calibrate-your-monitor-with-free-software-os4

It’s only taken me half a decade to get there haha.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi again,

It’s been over 5 years, and I’m still using my SmallHD 702 ‘s…
    Now with the release of OS4 for SmallHD they’ve finally come out with a guide on how to calibrate SmallHD monitors with Display Cal. Here’s the link for those of you still trying to calibrate your SmallHD Monitors:

https://guide.smallhd.com/a/1433761-how-to-calibrate-your-monitor-with-free-software-os4

It’s only taken me half a decade to get there haha.

Beware, colorimeter correction set to “none”.
    It is actually asking you to make a custom matrix correction with atrue reference device instead of providing you with a sample spectral distribution (CCSS/EDR) that can be used with all i1d3 colorimeters. Not very customer friendly guide.

Timothy Richardson
    Participant

Oh! Then what should be the correct settings?

Vincent
    Participant

a ) Rent a spectrophotometer, measure spectral power distribution…and share with community

b ) measure uncoprrected primaries and guess which CCSS:
    sRGB native primaries or close => White LED
    AdobeRGB/P3 pimaries it can be a GB-LED a QLED or a WLED PFS. IDNK when your device was manufactured but these sampel backlights are ordered from older to newer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS