Setting for Photoshop and Xnview

Home Forums Help and Support Setting for Photoshop and Xnview

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Guys, does the video card gamma table have to be turned off when using the color managed apps ?

Also, could someone screenshot their xnview settings, I’m not sure I’m doing it correctly, because on some images, it causes blk lvl to go grey.

Vincent
    Participant

Guys, does the video card gamma table have to be turned off when using the color managed apps ?

No, why would you want to do that? Then profile TRC and monitor behavior won’t match (unless without GPU calibration grey is “perfect”)

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

What I mean is use the Reset VCGT setting in the displaycal loader.

I ask because using xnview, if i enable icc in the software , it messes up the picture unless I disable vcgt in the displaycal loader.

Vincent
    Participant

What is a profile? A description about a device behavior.
    If you made a ICM profile that contains calibration it is stored in ICM profile. Device (display) description was measured AFTER VCGT values fro calibration were computed and applied to screen. So ICM profile contains the behavipr of your screen AFTER calibration.

That means that if you wish to use color management based in ICM profiles with that screen (not LUT3Ds like madVR) you MUST ensure that calibration (VCGT) is loaded intro graphic card. Otherwise display and profile won’t match.

If you see “wrong things” in xnview they may be caused by one of the following:

• banding artifacts caused by calibration: get a GPU with >8bit/entry LUT & dithering, or make sure that driver is using that features
    • banding artifacts caused by color management: limited bitdepth in calculations or truncation when sending color managed RGB values to graphics card. Difficult to solve unless your app is updated to work like CaptureOne or Lightroom (dithering). Try using single curve profiles.
    • unknown errors caused by xnview (IDNK that app, maybe you can explain in a more detailed way what you see) if previous sources of error do not apply: do not use this app

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Ok vincent, I understand what you’re saying, thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS