Screens don’t match, calibrations off?

Home Forums Help and Support Screens don’t match, calibrations off?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Nahvir
    Participant

I have tried to google, but am not finding much that I understand or is applicable.

I have spent the past 3 days calibrating my screens over and over to try to get them all to match and they just won’t. I am worried the white level might be the issue? I have it set to 100 since 120 hurts my eyes too much and that was what I was recommended to do instead. If I were to do “as measured” my room brightness measurement is around 40. Using Gamma 2.2 tone curve if that makes any difference.

So, one issue is that my Asus VH236H is at 100% brightness which puts it as measuring around 60 at best. I had to leave it up to DisplayCal to fix that gap. So, you can definitely see a difference between it and my primary monitor (ViewSonic VA2855). And the Cinitiq 24HD… who knows what is up with it. It’s showing the best percentage ratings when it comes to my SRG/AdobeRBG/etc but who knows what monitor is correct at this point. It also is maxed out on brightness.

Should I just set them all to “as measured” for the brightness??? Or what can I do about the Asus being dimmer than the Viewsonic or is the Asus the more correct one? I am unsure how to determine which monitor is being calibrated properly to best reflect my work. I don’t want to work on photography for hours only to find out all my edits aren’t what will actually be represented since I don’t know which monitor to trust.

Also, I am assuming under each tab I am meant to do the interactive display adjustment again. Though, I have had it where I have done the display and instrument tab, then immediately gone to the calibration tab and it requires me to change the RGB values again, so not sure if that is also making things weird?

I am using a Spyder5 Elite though I do have a Colormunki Display I could try instead.

Monitors:
    Primary: ViewSonic VA2855
    Secondary: Cintiq 24HD
    Tertiary: Asus VH236H

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Nahvir.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Nahvir
    Participant

Can’t edit, so forgot to say: Cintiq 24HD is a wide color gamut one, so I did change off of LCD generic to the Wide Gamut one  for it. The other two were LCD generic.

Vincent
    Participant

Spyder5 is not an accurate device, that is the main source of error. Use color munki display.

1-choose best CCSS  colorimeter correction you can (even guessing) for each display.
    2- get them to your desired white coordinates, if CCSS is not exactly as monitor’s backlight, fix white visually (I you do that, cancel calibration and re run it with whitepoint to as measured/native). You can use Visual white point editor too to get visual match if matcing by coordinates does not help.
    3-once white is fixed continue with calibration

At the end of the process you have them matched in white & brightness, maybe visually ,maybe by coordinates.
    If you show an image in a color managed program and all colors of that image fall inside all of the display colorspaces, images will match.
    If you show something in non color managed envioment like Windows wallpaper, they won’t (unless you reencode a wallpaper file for each display on its own colorspace)

Nahvir
    Participant

Thank you, changing to the colourmunki helped for sure, no longer getting different RGB and brightness readings every time despite not touching controls. Definitely is looking much better now.  Unfortunately, I’m going to have to spend another whole day recalibrating my first two monitors cause I realize I should leave contrast set to factory default so I had changed it to 50 thinking that was the median. So, rip. Onto day five of just calibrating screens. Least I am getting closer and closer to screens that are what I need. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS