Run measurement report on current settings?

Home Forums Help and Support Run measurement report on current settings?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

beepilyboopilydoopy
    Participant

I ran measurement reports again with the box checked in Profile Loader “use my settings for this display device”, and there was no difference in the result, if simulation profile was check marked, and sRGB selected in the list.

So in this screenshot of the measurement reports is my old U2515H dell monitor, in custom mode so that I can access the RGB sliders in the OSD.

On the left side is with simulated profile with sRGB profile. Delta E is very high, but Gamut a*b* is wider. The dots on the chart reach further out than the patch points, which I assume is the reason for the high Delta E.

On the right side is with the calibration profile applied. Delta E is very low, and the dots almost fall into the patch points.

Not pictured here is another report with the “Standard mode (sRGB)” that’s supposed to be factory calibrated. The colors have aged, so the dots in the Gamut chart have shrunk closer together, with 5% smaller sRGB gamut coverage, the gamma chart is off, and there is very high Delta E.

So does this mean that if the display does not have a factory calibrated color mode specific to a color space (for example sRGB) to clip the gamut volume, then in non-color managed software like Chrome, the  display will always look oversaturated?

If I look for a wide gamut DCI-P3 display, then I should check that it has an accurate sRGB clipping mode in the OSD?

Also there seems to be a bug in Profile Loader for my laptop. Sometimes when I extend the desktop to secondary displays, or switch the primary display between them, the profile for one of the secondary display gets copied over to the primary laptop display.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

beepilyboopilydoopy
    Participant

I noticed that after a profile has been selected in the drop down list for simulation profile, the selection can not be cleared.

If I want to run measurement reports on calibration profiles, then is it ok that a profile is selected in the simulation profile list, as long as the checkbox for simulation profile is not checked?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

I ran measurement reports again with the box checked in Profile Loader “use my settings for this display device”, and there was no difference in the result, if simulation profile was check marked, and sRGB selected in the list.

So in this screenshot of the measurement reports is my old U2515H dell monitor, in custom mode so that I can access the RGB sliders in the OSD.

On the left side is with simulated profile with sRGB profile. Delta E is very high, but Gamut a*b* is wider. The dots on the chart reach further out than the patch points, which I assume is the reason for the high Delta E.

sRGB like displays are not exactly sRGB in native gamut. If want to test factory calibration, set as default display profile the ICM instaled by driver, for example U2515H.icm. Then uncheck al simulation profile options. Driver ICM has no calibration, just idealized display behavior. Displaycal will check if monitor behaves like ICM says it should be.

Some sRGB displays have an sRGB mode that MAY limit gamut to sRGB, but not all, others just have sRGB TRC.

On the right side is with the calibration profile applied. Delta E is very low, and the dots almost fall into the patch points.

= Display behaves as profile predicts.

Not pictured here is another report with the “Standard mode (sRGB)” that’s supposed to be factory calibrated. The colors have aged, so the dots in the Gamut chart have shrunk closer together, with 5% smaller sRGB gamut coverage, the gamma chart is off, and there is very high Delta E.

So does this mean that if the display does not have a factory calibrated color mode specific to a color space (for example sRGB) to clip the gamut volume, then in non-color managed software like Chrome, the  display will always look oversaturated?

Explained above

If I look for a wide gamut DCI-P3 display, then I should check that it has an accurate sRGB clipping mode in the OSD?

Since windows is not color managed in desktop, it’s advised.

I noticed that after a profile has been selected in the drop down list for simulation profile, the selection can not be cleared.

If I want to run measurement reports on calibration profiles, then is it ok that a profile is selected in the simulation profile list, as long as the checkbox for simulation profile is not checked?

No checked, not applied.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

beepilyboopilydoopy
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I found more details in this thread which explained the different combinations of verification settings.

Do I Have This Right

• Combi A – (For testing if the uncalibrated display behaves like the the generated profile)
    • Settings: Current
    • Profile Loader: U2515H Calibration/Profile generated by DisplayCAL
    • Simulation Profile: Unchecked
    • Combi B – (For testing the generated profile against sRGB color space)
    • Profile Loader: U2515H Calibration/Profile generated by DisplayCAL
    • Simulation Profile: Checked – sRGB
    • Use simulation profile as display profile: Not checked
    • Tone Curve: Apply black output offset (100%)
    • Combi C – (For testing the uncalibrated display against sRGB color space)
    • Profile Loader: Does it matter which profile?
    • Simulation Profile: Checked – sRGB
    • Use simulation profile as display profile: Checked
    • Tone Curve: Unmodified

Before starting calibration, when I want to check which color mode in the display OSD matches closest to sRGB , by repeating the report for each OSD mode, I should run Combi C? Or perhaps it’s also better (if I have the time) to  generate a new calibration/profile  for each OSD mode, and then run Combi A and B for each new profile?

Then in Combi C, does it matter which profile is set to default in Profile Loader? I thought when “Use simulation profile as display profile” is Checked, then the profile is unloaded anyway, so it doesn’t matter which is set to default.

If I want to see the DeltaE of what a non-color managed browser will display, then I run Combi C?

If I want to see the DeltaE of what a color managed software like Photoshop will display, then I run Combi B?

Occasional rechecking for changes from aging of the display, run Combi A?

What is the usefulness of testing the factory driver profile U2515H.icm in Combi A and B, other than curiosity? It has high DeltaE, so I don’t think it’s useful.

In the Profile Information viewer of a generated calibration profile, the ACCCURCY_ and GAMUT_ values, are they representing Combi B with the calibration applied, or Combi C uncalibrated? Is there a way to calculate GAMUT_coverage from the measurement report instead of having to look in the Profile Information viewer?

beepilyboopilydoopy
    Participant

I didn’t understand the documentation for Simulate whitepoint and Relative to display profile whitepoint . Are these useful for me? Especially if I used the DisplayCAL visual whitepoint editor for my laptop display to set Chromatically Coordinates Whitepoint, for matching the whitepoint tint to my external monitor?

Well, I ran them out of curiosity and gives me really bad reports.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Combi B – (For testing the generated profile against sRGB color space)
    It tests how good it is showing an sRGB image in Photoshop or other color managed software.

If I want to see the DeltaE of what a color managed software like Photoshop will display, then I run Combi B?
    Exactly

What you may be asking, testing 1D GPU calibration against sRGB assuming that display gamut is sRGB like, AFAIK it is not possible wioth DisplayCAL. Try with HCFR and be sure to uncheck clear GPU LUT calibration.

beepilyboopilydoopy
    Participant

Thanks. I’m mainly trying to determine which OSD color mode will give the best DeltaE and gamut coverage compared to sRGB, both before and after calibration.

For non-color managed software, testing 1D GPU calibration without profile would simulate what the non-management will show. But since this is not possible in DisplayCAL, then I guess  just comparing the reports between Combi B and C will give an approximate idea.

Is there a way to calculate gamut coverage from the raw data from the measurement reports?

At the moment I can only make a  guess by  comparing the spread of the dots on the gamut chart.

I tried doing what the post in the link below recommended, to run a short profile only, without running the calibration, to get the gamut measurement (set calibration tone to “as measured” to deactivate calibration).

Test uncalibrated monitor

But the gamut DeltaE avg and max listed in the output of the profiling do not match the results from the measurement report. I’m probably doing something wrong with the profiling settings? I also get different results if I select the default profile in the “Settings” list at the top of DisplayCAL, or if I change  “settings” to “Current”and then set the default profile in Profile Loader.  I must be doing something wrong.

If I want to get the percentage of gamut coverage for Combi C, then should I run the profiling only, with the driver profile U2515H.icm as default in Profile Loader, and set DisplayCAL “settings” to “current”?  Since the driver profile contains no calibration?

And if I want to get the percentage of gamut coverage for Combi B with the previously made calibration, then I can either select the calibration profile in “Settings”, or set it as default in Profile Loader and set “Settings” to “Current”?

Vincent
    Participant

I’ve remembered a way to test, use a virtual machine, run DisplayCAl on virtual machine (guest), validate as in C (guest) while on host (“real computer”) DisplayCAL profile loader has profile VCGT loaded into GPU. It’s an easy way.

Regarding coverages you’l need to make a profile from them and use iccgamut and viewgam. All comand-line, read the doc.

beepilyboopilydoopy
    Participant

Thanks. I tried Windows Pro Sandbox but USB devices aren’t supported in Sandbox mode, so it won’t detect the colorimeter. I don’t want to install another sandbox software. Anyway, I think it’s not too important to test.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS