Re-profile only without attached device (by only changing calibration options)

Home Forums Help and Support Re-profile only without attached device (by only changing calibration options)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

AndiTR
    Participant

I want to recalculate a profile based on an existing XYZLUT+MTX profile I have made yesterday. Of course I simply want to re-use calibration data, and so attaching my i1 Display Pro for this purpose should not be necessary.

1. Interestingly, setting profile type to “curves + matrix” (to be fully Mac OS compatible) will reset the amount of patches to minimum. Raising patches to the original value (425) will reset the profile to XYZLUT again. Why?
    2. As described here, under “calibration”, I have set tone curve to “As measured” and unchecked “Interactive display adustment”. The button now only shows “Profile only”, but even if I keep XYZ LUX + matrix as type, on click on “Profile only”, a dialog appears telling me that the old calibration file will be used. I click “Continue”, but then DisplayCAL wants to measure again. Why?

Main question: Please explain how to reuse measurement data (with unchanged calibration settings) for different profiling settings.

Of course I only want to re-measure if necessary.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator
    1. A high amount of patches makes no sense for a matrix profile.
    2. You want to select menu “File” -> “Create profile from measurement data…”.

AndiTR
    Participant

I have first loaded the settings from an existing “single curve + matrix” profile (so the amount of patches will be compatible), then changed to “curves + matrix” type.

Then I did what you suggested, and loaded the bpc.ti3 file of the measurements for the single curve type profile, but then it proposes me to save a file with “1xCurve+MTX” included, which does not seem to be what I want. To be sure, I saved the file anyway, and it seems that 3 curves were saved because the profile has flaws in Mac OS preview (as expected).

1. I guess this should be fixed because I currently have to manually fix the file name used for the new profile.
    2. After I have installed the profile, it is visible under the Mac OS settings below a divider line. As soon as I select another profile, it will be removed from the list.

Anyway, please appreciate my critical points as constructive. Thanks for this tool, the good documentation and the detailed options. I currently prefer the results to i1Profiler.

Florian Höch
    Administrator
    1. The file name comes from the measurement file. If the file is named “ABC.ti3” then it will prompt you to save “ABC.icc”.
    2. It is not possible to add the necessary metadata to the profile when using arbitrary measurement files. You need to use a pre-existing profile.

AndiTR
    Participant
    1. The file name comes from the measurement file. If the file is named “ABC.ti3” then it will prompt you to save “ABC.icc”

Which I would call a bug because the regular profile creation of DisplayCAL is reused and so it should update the file name according to the loaded settings. For example %pt is not defined as “type of the original profile the measurement data for the current profile is taken from” but simply as “profile type”.

2. It is not possible to add the necessary metadata to the profile when using arbitrary measurement files. You need to use a pre-existing profile.

For what does Mac OS need the settings metadata when loading the profile? And which sense has “Create profile from measurement data” if I can click “install” afterwards but it does not correctly install it? The UI should make things a bit clearer.

AndiTR
    Participant

I guess this is done because DisplayCAL does not trust the measurements (which could be old or from another display)? At least it should recognize if the measurements were made with the same calibration settings and then let me check a box making sure that the measurements are valid for the display & instrument selected so that I can properly install the profile.

AndiTR
    Participant

PS: I do the same thing in DCamProf and reuse a measurement over and over again which fine-tuning parameters. Anything else would be crazy.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For example %pt is not defined as “type of the original profile the measurement data for the current profile is taken from”

And that’s not what it does. It uses the chosen settings, but the (default) filename is that of the chosen measurement file. Every other program (that I can think of) works in that way.

For what does Mac OS need the settings metadata when loading the profile?

To determine if the profile was created for the display, and thus show it above the line. It’s cosmetic.

but it does not correctly install it?

The profile is properly installed and used, metadata present or not. You can assign any RGB display profile to a display in macOS, even canned ones like sRGB.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS