Question about 27GL83A-B settings

Home Forums Help and Support Question about 27GL83A-B settings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Tewi
    Participant

Hello, I’m a bit confused on what settings I should be using for this monitor. I have an i1Display Studio, aka ColorMunki.

This is the Amazon exclusive version of the 27GL850-B. From what I’ve read, the 27GL850-B has a wide color gamut, while the 27GL83A-B (mine) seems to be the same panel/backlight but forces sRGB emulation in everything except the HDR profile. I’ll be using a profile with sRGB emulation. What then would be the best option for correction, if anything at all? I see plenty of 27GL850-B correction profiles uploaded, but nothing for my particular monitor.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Tewi.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

27GL83A looks like a common sRGB display no matter which OSD you use. HDR mode does not work in the way you think, it’s just an HDR Input + translation to sRGB SDR panel capabilities.

Tewi
    Participant

27GL83A looks like a common sRGB display no matter which OSD you use. HDR mode does not work in the way you think, it’s just an HDR Input + translation to sRGB SDR panel capabilities.

I see. I’m confused because the Rtings review has a lot of specific mentions that my monitor (83) has a wider color gamut than the (850) in testing. Can this be true while one is still an sRGB? I’m new to this stuff.

Could you please answer about the correction profile? Would PFS Phorphos WLED family be the proper fit then?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Tewi.

Vincent
    Participant

Link?

Tewi
    Participant

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/discussions/T7_bMA41xbmXgeHD/lg-27gl83a-b-with-wider-color-gamut-than-the-lg-27gl850-b

It’s mentioned here and confirmed by the reviewer towards the bottom. It’s all vague to me, I’m not sure what conclusion I’m supposed to reach from that.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Tewi.

Vincent
    Participant

Oh, I see:

https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/monitor/lg/27gl83a-b/27gl83a-b-color-gamut-p3-large.jpg

Maybe it’s some of these nano-ips/yag-phosphor low cost backlights. There is no correction for them AFAIK. A WLED PFS should have more saturated green even in its cheapest flavors fo VA panels… but IDNK which measurement HW was used. Keep in mind that Xrite spectros won’t measure most monitors accurately unless you use ArgyllCMS derived software @3nm. Also it’s absord that such review does not include an spectral power distribution (SPD).

There was an SPD of a yag phosphor led backlight in some threads here, but you’ll need to translate it manually to a CCSS.

Tewi
    Participant

That’s… a bit beyond my understanding of this stuff.

How mandatory are these corrections? For example, would calibrating be basically useless with just leaving it set to ‘none’?

Vincent
    Participant

RGB components of an WLOLED do not too different from those nano (search 2D plot in this forum), look at SPD (WOLED white is wrong of course) with “i” button next to correction, or just try WLED (sRGB), RG-phosphor or none.
    Then if white does not look white when set to D65, use visual whitepoint editor until it looks “white”, then calibrate. This way displaycal won’t modify that “reference white” even if does not measure “D65” (without actual correction), but will calibrate grey to match that “visual reference” of white.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS