Profile sharing between multiple machines using the same display

Home Forums Help and Support Profile sharing between multiple machines using the same display

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mokaschitta
    Participant

Hi,

I just started calibrating some monitors using a spyder X. I am calibrating the internal display of a dell xps laptop and an external LG screen, both used with windows 10 and ubuntu. I have the folowing questions:

1. I noticed when calibrating the internal screen on win10 and ubuntu, I get noticably different results. Is that expected? (i.e. if I use the profile done on windows on ubuntu, it will look different from the one calibrated with ubuntu)
    2. As there are no RGB controls on the laptop screen, I guess I can’t really do much for the interactive whitepoint adjustment. Do I just skip it, is there anything else I can do to imrpove it?
    3. I use the external monitor from two windows 10 machines, can I just calibrate it with one and then use the profile on both machines? Will that do the trick?

Thanks you!

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

1.- Windows desktop is not color managed, IDNK if your particular ubuntu version with XXXX windows manager is able to do that.
    Compare them using color managed apps.

2.- White will be corrected using GPU LUT (limiting one or two channels max output). Going back to 1, if 255 white is different in these two OSes with the same hardware, one OS may have not loaded calibration into GPU, so you see it different, or something like that.
    Also make sure that autodimming for integrated screen is disabled in both OSes.

3.- It should look OK as long as you are:
    -in the same OSD mode with the same configuration
    -driving output with the same range (beware this if you use HDMI)
    -OS is able to load calibration into GPU, with their own tools or using 3rd party tools like DisplayCAL calibration loader

mokaschitta
    Participant

Thank you,

I guess regarding 1, I was more confused that running displaycal on ubuntu vs windows 10 would result in different profiles for the same display.

Regarding 3, if I use USB C and display port, do you think sharing the same profile will work?

I have one more follow up question, what profile should I set my monitor on before starting calibration? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you,

I guess regarding 1, I was more confused that running displaycal on ubuntu vs windows 10 would result in different profiles for the same display.

That is a slightly different issue from the same calibration (GPU calibration ICC) looking different.
    If you ask about making different profiles for the same display in different computers/OSes, check previous advice + check same settings. For example you may have enable advanced conrols in one DIsplayCAL but not in another.

Regarding 3, if I use USB C and display port, do you think sharing the same profile will work?

As long as the other things do not change. Explained above.

I have one more follow up question, what profile should I set my monitor on before starting calibration? Does it matter?

DisplayCAL will erase from GPU any previous GPU calibration loaded from a profile, so it does not matter, at least if you meant “profile” as ICC/ICM profile (usual/correct meaning).
    If you meant “profile” as “OSD mode” choose the one that suits your needs. Usually widest gamut for image editing, or sRGB/Rec709 for not color managed apps.

mokaschitta
    Participant

Thanks, that answered everything. I indeed meant ICC profile, I assumed that it would not matter but was not entirely sure! Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS