Problem with calibration of imac 2020 for DaVinci Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support Problem with calibration of imac 2020 for DaVinci Resolve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

dersh
    Participant

Hi everybody. I calibrated my Imac 2020 to bring a clean feed to it. And I ran into a problem. “Clean feed”. For calibration, I used the video preset (recording D65, 1886). Use Mac color display profiles to view – enabled. If I use the mac display as an interface, there will be no artifacts in the shadows, and if as cleanfeed, there will be artifacts. Tell me what calibration settings should I set for proper calibration.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Use Mac color display profiles to view – enabled.

Do not use it, use a LUT3D in software. MacOS color management is extremely limited as only accepts a subset of extremely idealized ICC profiles.

Also it’s useless to modify gamma if you are going to do what you did = rely on OS provided color management. If you are going to do that, just fix white point (mostly a b* correction)and make grey neutral (which out of the box should be ok on an IPS mac). Any gamma modification will be undone to match content, like intended.

dersh
    Participant

Hello. I made a 3d lut for my Imac. It is being verified. If I do verification, I use the Resolve display in the settings. Then 3d lut does not pass it. In the Davinci settings, I installed 3d lut for the viewer. Tell me, which profile should I install in the Mac os settings? And please tell me further actions or what I’m doing wrong.

Vincent
    Participant

Depending your your LUT3D choice, default ICC for display in OS should or should not have grey calibration (VCGT). If LUT3D has that then OS shoudl not load it, if LUT3D has not that embeded, OS must load it into GPU.

dersh
    Participant

If I use the standard Imac profile, then in the 3D LUT settings I need to check the VCGT box. Tell me please. Will such settings give the correct result? And do I need to do verification using Resolve?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Yes, or the opposite keep VCGT globaly, system wide and do not use it in LUT3D. Whatever is easier to you. If you are going to use several color managed apps at the same time as resolve you’ll need to keep VCGT in GPU on OS.

Also Rec1886 on a limited IPS contrast display is mostly useless for your task. Google Rec 1886 in ITU-R and read its definition.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS