Photoshop color management

Home Forums Help and Support Photoshop color management

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Yamu
    Participant

I’m using Photoshop with Color management using the ICC profile file made by DisplayCAL while also having my display color calibrated profile already on globally. Does this mean I would have to add Photoshop as an exception to DisplayCAL Profile Loader to disable the profile loader when I startup Photoshop to avoid double calibration?

Yamu
    Participant

Or would it just be better if I didn’t use Photoshop’s color management and have the DisplayCAL Profile Loader enabled?

Vincent
    Participant

-Set your DisplayCal’s display profile as “default” in OS. In Windows, DisplayCAL tray app do it for you so you can switch between profiles.

-Make sure that current OSD mode in your display is the same you used for current DisplayCAL calibration&profile and DO NOT modify that OSD mode parameters.

-Open Photoshop (or GIMP) and set as “default” RGB working space the colorspace you use most or the colorspace that images without profile usually have (I would say sRGB).
    Optionally, and this is personal taste, configure Photoshop to do not ask you when you open an image with a different profile than your default working colorspace.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

Yamu
    Participant

I went to “Edit>Color settings” within Photoshop and “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” was already set as the RGB Working Spaces. When I use Ifranview, Google Chrome the images look the same, but when I use Firefox, Windows default viewer and Photoshop they look the same but different to Google Chrome and Ifranview.

Yamu
    Participant

I’ve tried setting my Firefox “about:config” “gfx.color_management .display_profile” to point towards my ICC profile that was made with my calibrator using DisplayCAL. I did the same with Photoshop “Edit>Color settings” and changed the  “sRGB IEC61966-2.1”  working space to also point to the ICC profile  DisplayCAL Profile Loader was using. Now everything but Windows default viewer looks the same.

I am wondering if I am doing it right or am I double calibrating these applications and making everything look saturated? Since I also have DisplayCAL Profile Loader activated I thought it’ll certainly calibrate all applications to look the same that isn’t in full screen.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Yamu.

Vincent
    Participant

When I use Ifranview, Google Chrome the images look the same, but when I use Firefox, Windows default viewer and Photoshop they look the same but different to Google Chrome and Ifranview.

=> Do not trust Chrome & Infranview

I’ve tried setting my Firefox “about:config” “gfx.color_management .display_profile” to point towards my ICC profile that was made with my calibrator using DisplayCAL.

No need to do that with DisplayCAL profiles. It reads OS default profile and it understands DisplayCAL ICC v2 profiles set as defualt display profile in Windows.

I did the same with Photoshop “Edit>Color settings” and changed the  “sRGB IEC61966-2.1”  working space to also point to the ICC profile  DisplayCAL Profile Loader was using. Now everything but Windows default viewer looks the same.

RGB color space is for “assigning” that colorspace to an image without profile (usually sRGB). It is very very uncommon that you need to create or edit an image to a device profile (maybe for some android phone, converting an image to that device profile ir onder to view it properly in its mobile non  color managed viewer).
    Set sRGB as RGB working space, then if you wish, set Photoshop to do not ask you when profiles mismatch (but ask you when they are missing).

Since I also have DisplayCAL Profile Loader activated I thought it’ll certainly calibrate all applications to look the same that isn’t in full screen.

DisplayCAL calibration deals with white point, grey neutrality and gamma.
    If you whish global gamut emulation you’ll need to use monitor or lut boxes with gamut emulation… or trust AMD’s EDID data to sRGB transformation on the fly.

Otherwise you need to rely on color management like Firfox, GIMP, Photoshop, or even classic Windows photoviewer (for some profile types, and in non fullscreen mode).

Yamu
    Participant

Thanks, I’ve changed my Firefox and Photoshop back to normal without pointing any ICC profile, and restarted my Google Chrome. Chrome, Firefox, Windows Photoviewer and Photoshop now look the same. But Ifranview doesn’t. Ifranview is my main application for viewing images, and I can’t seem to get it to look the same as the others.

Yamu
    Participant

Also I’ve tried testing out other image viewers like FastStone Image viewer, Honewview and they both display the same color as IfranView, while the rest, chrome, photoshop, firefox and Windows Photo view are not. Are these image viewers automatically pointing to the ICC profile for double calibration?

Yamu
    Participant

Okay I’ve fixed IrfanView I think. Went to “Options” tab, “Properties/Settings”, “Zoom / Color Management”. Then ticked “Enable Color Management”, selected “Current monitor profile” and “Apply also for images without embedded color profile” and inputted “C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\sRGB Color Space Profile.icm” the which is the same as Photoshop.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Yamu.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS