Perfect gradient during calibration, banding when finished.

Home Forums Help and Support Perfect gradient during calibration, banding when finished.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I noticed the following behavior while trying to calibrate a monitor:

I use some dark patches as well as a gray gradient for reference when calibrating. In the beginning, there is noticeable tinting in the patches as well as banding in the gradient. During calibration I can see all the inaccuracies being iteratively corrected until there are no tints and a perfectly smooth gradient with no perceivable banding at all. However, as soon as calibration is finished and the process moves on to profiling, the result reverts to tints and banding, not the original state, it is still somewhat closer to what it should be, but not the perfect state that was being reproduced live during calibration.

What could possibly be the cause of this? It feels as if the calibration happens at really high sampling resolution but then downsampled when it’s done?

Everything is on default settings, standard 2.2 calibration on windows with an nvidia card, but the perfect gradient was observed with low calibration speed.

Thank you.

MW
    Participant

Sounds like your GPU is limited in bit precision. You could set tone curve to “as measured”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like your GPU is limited in bit precision. You could set tone curve to “as measured”.

But if that was the case, how is it possible that the gradients are completely smoothed out during calibration and the tints gone?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, I see. The tone curve isn’t actually applied until the end of calibration.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I will try the sticky post about dithering to help with precision.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dithering fixed it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS