PC -> eeColor 3D LUT -> HDTV calibration settings

Home Forums Help and Support PC -> eeColor 3D LUT -> HDTV calibration settings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

denny
    Participant

Hi,

I am using a TV as my PC display, I have done an eeColor 3D LUT calibration with both input and output encoding set to full range RGB and it seems to work.

I have read articles saying even though a TV support 0-255, we should still use 16-235, because TV is designed to display 16-235, therefore when it display colours below 16 and over 235, there are always a tint. For videos, which is always encoded in YCbCr 4:2:0 , if we select other output format, it will “enhance” the colour which will become inaccurate.

My display driver can output 4 formats:

Full RGB 444, Limited RGB 444, YCbCr444 and YCbCr422, so I set it to YCbCr422 which is less “enchance”.

So, I do a calibration with both input and output encoding set to TV Rec. 709 1125/60Hz YCbCr HD which seems to the closest to what I want (BT.709-6), but the output make everything red.

Please advise what should I do?

When the 3D LUT is created, it prompts it contains the 1D LUT, does it means everytime I turn on the computer I have to click “Reset video card gamma table”? If I do not want to do that, I can uncheck “Apply calibration (vcgt)” and “Create 3D LUT after profiling” and then click “Create 3D LUT…” to create a new one without the 1D LUT?

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

If device actually accepts RGB444 without weird clipping you should use that. Also using 4:2:0 for desktop (PC display) is nonsense.
    If TV is not actually capable of RGB 444 full, use RGB 444 limited and make you you have configured limited properly on both sides.

Also making LUT3D without prior verification of display profile is uselesss and a waste of time.

When the 3D LUT is created, it prompts it contains the 1D LUT, does it means everytime I turn on the computer I have to click “Reset video card gamma table”? If I do not want to do that, I can uncheck “Apply calibration (vcgt)” and “Create 3D LUT after profiling” and then click “Create 3D LUT…” to create a new one without the 1D LUT?

If you have loaded a correct LUT3D into an external LUT3D and it is working, just profile display again with no calibration (all to as measured in calibration tab). Attach linear VCGT and profile display.
    Since you are going to use your display with external LUT3D active, it’s all color managed apps need: to know current display behavior.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS