Passable report or something gone wrong?

Home Forums Help and Support Passable report or something gone wrong?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gabriel Sagatun
    Participant

Hey, guys. So I’ve now attempted to calibrate all my sceens, but seeing as I’m completely new to color calibration, I don’t really know how to read the measurement report.
    These screens will not be used in any professional manner, strictly for gaming and browsing.  The screen in question is the AW2721D,. I used mostly default options when calibrating, choosing 6500k for whitepoint and a spectral correction profile for this specific monitor. I adjusted the RGB levels on the monitor beforehand, and chose a brightness of 160 luminance, as that was the lowest I could have it for comfortable viewing in my room.

I apologize if I am one of many who “spam” this forum for help, but I really do appreciate any help/insight so that I can better understand how this whole process works and if I should be satisfied with my current ICC profile or re-calibrate.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

1- What do you want to do?
    It seems that that display is a P3 oriented to gamer target… but it’s P3, not sRGB.
    If you want that monitor for hobbyst PS/LR & other color managed apps it could be fine just using that profile & displaycal calibration loader.
    If you want to play games or use non color managed software meant to display sRGB/Rec709 you’ll see all oversaturated. If this applies to you first use satuation controls on display and another ArgylLCMS tool (command line or HCFR for windows, use same colorimeter correction, very important!!) to get simulated primaries close to sRGB ones, or use some sRGB factory preset if available. One you have some OSD mode which simulated primaries are close to sRGB do what you did in displayCAL to calibrate white & grey.

2-Grey range could be improved with slower calibration speed… but IDNK if non color managed grey gradienst lood “bad” (with colors not caused by GPU lumitations). If you are fine with gradienst after that calibration ignore this 2nd tip.

Gabriel Sagatun
    Participant

What’s most important to me is that the colors will look great in games.
    The monitor unfortunately does not come with a sRGB preset, which is a real bummer.

I must admit that the process you’re describing to get it to simulate sRGB is way beyond my knowledge and does not make much sense to me.
    How complicated would you say it is to do what you’re describing? I am beginning to wonder if a wide gamut may not be the best fit for a gaming screen (still have time to return it).

Vincent
    Participant

-Read display manual. There should be some saturation controls in some OSD modes. Choose one.

-Get HCFR, ArgyllCMS under the hood.  Run it. Choose the same colorimeter correction (should be visible to app, copy if not). Measure Primaries & secondaries, there is a icon with RGB or RGBCMY colors to do that.

-Move saturation controls on OSD to get closer to Rec709 default reference

-Measure Primaries & secondaries, again

-Repeat process (move OSD, measure, move OSD, measure) until they are on spot or close

-Move back to DisplayCAL, calibrate white & grey as you did previously.

If you find online some manual to tweak CMS in a TV, just the same.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.

Gabriel Sagatun
    Participant

Alright, I’ll do some research and see where that gets me. Appreciate the help 🙂
    One last thing: would you be willing to check out a measurement report of the default (supposedly pre-calibrated) preset on my monitor? Just in case that one actually targets sRGB.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

It is not

RED 255:

Measured: x: 0.6769 y: 0.3098

P3: 0.680 , 0.320

sRGB: 0.640, 0.330

Looks close to P3.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS